Magnesium help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flreefer

Aquarium Advice Addict
So this is my situation:
I recently got my Red Sea Foundation Pro test kit, from the last BRS group buy. After reading the directions to understand how to run the test, which took a little but, I'll be honest! I managed to test for Ca, KH, and Mag.
Ca. Tested at 425...pretty good.
KH Tested at 10.15...good too.
Mag. Tested at 1450....Huh?
I've never tested for Mag. in 8 years, and I assumed that because I've always dosed Ca and Ph buffer that my Mag. was going to be low. It was quite the opposite.
I did run 2 tests and both were the same, I thought I may have messed it up.
Any thoughts about a plan of action to reduce my Mag.? This was unexpected, so I really don't know what to do.
I will be testing again today, to see if any changes have occurred in the past 2 days.
Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

From what I have researched the mag level should be just fine at that level. Mine stays at a constant 1350 or so and I have never dosed for it or anything. lol

I believe I have actually read that a higher mag level can help inhibit algae growth! not sure if thats true or not just something I have read a few times.

Thanks Carey, that would be great, cause I really don't know how to go about trying to lower it!

It will do no harm at that level. The only way to really lower it would be water changes with a salt that has a lower mag level. If I remember correctly, you use Reef Cyrstals, and with that you should expect mag to be around 1440....so your right at the level RC put you (if that's what you use).

As far as the elevated mag inhibiting some algaes, that's accomplished (to a certian degree) by raising your mag using Kent Tech-M. Evidently there is some kind of impurity in Tech-M where raising the mag levels adds enough of this impurity to kill some types of algae.

ccCapt said:
It will do no harm at that level. The only way to really lower it would be water changes with a salt that has a lower mag level. If I remember correctly, you use Reef Cyrstals, and with that you should expect mag to be around 1440....so your right at the level RC put you (if that's what you use).

As far as the elevated mag inhibiting some algaes, that's accomplished (to a certian degree) by raising your mag using Kent Tech-M. Evidently there is some kind of impurity in Tech-M where raising the mag levels adds enough of this impurity to kill some types of algae.

Thanks Larry, I just re-tested all params and got a 1380 for Mag., so that's even better. First time using the pro series Red Sea kit last time, so hoping this time was a little more accurate. One tiny increment on the titrator is equal to 40 on the scale so I'm def in the right ballpark.
I have been alternating between Coral Pro, Reef Crystals, and reg IO (that I've had), but I'm thinking of going the IO route, when I'm out of my Coral pro, already out of the RC. I needed the increased levels for awhile to get my tank back to where it should be. Now that it's there, IO it is. Seems to work just fine for you!
Thanks for the help,
Toby

Back
Top Bottom