Magnesium reef tank!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltwaterfish56

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought a bottle of bright well aquatics magnesion for magnesium , but not too sure on how to use it , can anyone help please?

First you need a magnesium test kit. If you are sure you are lacking, then add some and retest. repeat until the desired range is accomplished. Test daily for a while and see how fast it's depleted, then you will know how much you need to add to raise it.
Here's some calculators from the BRS website-
REEF CALCULATOR - English

Dont dose what your not testing :)

Imo, you should wait until you get the test kit, and slowly start dosing, I wouldn't make it to the level you need it at right away, it can cause stress on corals. If your doing regular pwc's, you really shouldn't need to add much, if any.

So will I be fine if I'm just feeding and doing water changes until next week ? thats when I get paid and when I can buy the test kit , will I be fine for a week ?

Definitely, ive never dosed or tested for mag. Magnesium isn't that big of a deal, it just makes the calcium and carbon not bond as easily, making more time for the corals to take some. Just keep doing water changes once a week and you'll be absolutely fine.

Ok that makes me feel better haha , and Is a sump nessecassy? Cause I don't have one

They arent necessary, but they sure are helpful. I had my tank without a sump for a while but now I don't think I would go without one.

Back
Top Bottom