magnicafant anenome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michealprater

Aquarium Advice Addict
i read they do well in captivity with good water flow and good lighting(such as my halide/pc setup). any personal experieces? agree or disagree?

Anemones have a bad 'rep' . I have a condylactis which seems to be doing great. I researched alot on these AWSOME creatures before purchasing one.

Various anemones do well under various lighting conditions. My condy seems to be liking bout 5.2 wpg NO lights. Some carpets(i think) can live with less lighting.

Sebeas I recomend to stay AWAY from. They seem to not last in captivity unless you obtain a tan specimen from the LFS (rare) or it turns tan shortly after.

Also I recomend waitng a yr or so before getting one this allows your tank to mature adn you to research them hehe

I believe bubble tips are suppost to be easiest of the host anemoens to keep along with carpes.. not positive. If you truy want one do alot of research on them and most ppl will say not to get one as they can live centuries (almost imortal) in the ocean. Hobbyist are lucky to keep them alive a yr (tho once u hit a yr they seem to last very long time..(yrs)

Well I can't find the link but I gave Aaron one last night that had some info on them.. I wil try aand find it but i have to play at a football game tonight.

If anyone disagrees please let me know. I am not postive on all those types of anemoens and could be mistaken.

Jacob

I would let your tank age at least year before putting an anenome in.
They definitely like flow they will seek there spot in the tank where they want to stay. I have kept a Seabae and a Pacific Anenome under 60 watts
of Triton bulbs and they did great, The pacific is now under a power compact 65 watt smart bulb, the seabae is now in my reef and was under 4 VHO's, 2 Actinic03 & 2 Aqua suns, I just placed a new lighting setup on my reef 2 65 PC's with 2 MH 175 watt that I am bringing up slowly.
As for the Seabae being hard to keep maybe I got lucky but mine is thriving and has been moved to the reef tank without a problem. The Seabae was white with purple tips and has stayed that way along. I have had it over 1 year now.

Hey Jacob sounds like you have a nice tank how about some pictures :D

haha I wish it wasn ice looking..

nice pic tho.. was your sebea tan in purchase? I have red that trhere nearly impossible to keep even public aquariums with godly lights can't... who knows but nice pic!

Jacob

The Anenome was white at the time of purchase. It had turned tan a few
months later. Thought that might have had something to do with the 29 gal. tank it was in, This tank is awsome as FW but when we made it SW nothing lived for long, So the Anenome was moved to the 75 gal. reef and the 29 is now back to FW :lol:

ahah well i congratulate you thats rare but its a awsome anemone. how long have you had it now?

Jacob

We have had this Anenome for 1 year now. It may be luck or I just got a healthy one. Even though I have seen a few since this one that are doing just as well. With the same amount of time or more in reef tanks.
My Anenome's are fed three times a week (I know big argument wether to feed or not, But it is working for my 2 Anenome's. Thats all that matters :lol: ) I feed them Shrimp and silversides. I will have to post a picture of my Pacific Anenome tomorrow when the lights come on.
Raising Anenome's takes patients, clean water & research 8O

I did have an Atlantic Anenome but he tangled with the Pacific one day when no one was home and lost BIG TIME.

PS Jacob come on lets see your tank :D

good deal.. Sebeas are the onesi was tlkain bout not lasting in captivity usually.. maybe my research is wrong.. every persons tank is different...

but I love to see some more pics of ure anemones ;)

Jacob

Not trying to be smart, so dont take offence to this, but my question was, has anyone personally had a magnicifant anenome, not a magnicifant anenome of any type, but thee "magnicifant anenome" or a ritteri anenome(both are the same). I have 3 maxi jet 1000s and a maxi jet 1200 for water flow. Lighting is 4- 96 watt power compacts and 2- 250w metal halides.

The anemone you are referring to is Heteractis magnifica, what you read is wrong, they are difficult to keep in captivity. I have owned one, they tend to suffer the same fate as the Sebae (Heteractis crispa), it just takes them longer. The advice offered by EMS503 was sound and that's why I did not jump in this thread, I would assume that is why Mark hasn't gotten involved as well. H. magnifica likes lots of waterflow and lot's of light. It is a wandering anemone and in my case, that is what finally did it in, it will search and search until it has just the right combo of flow and light. You probably have enough light, maybe enough flow, but is there that one spot in the tank that has exactly what the anemone is looking for? Maybe, but doubtful. I would not recommend this anemone, especially if you have corals or other anemones, cause as it roams your tank looking for the right spot, it will raise cane all over the tank. Thjis anemone also suffers the same collection problems as the H. crispa (although it is not as quick to bleach), they like a rocky substrate and when they are collected they tend to get rips and tears in their foot. This can often lead to infection that is not detectable until you wake up to a really big anemone fouling your tank.

Thats more like the reponce i was looking for. Very informative on the specific subject and to the point. Thank you kudos to you.

I have had my H. maganifica for almost two years now. I guess I got lucky. He just gave me a scare recently. He decided to try spawning and he fouled the tank. After 6 days and a few water 25% water changes this are back to normal. When I got him from my LFS he was approx the size of an small orange. He has thrived and grown to about 15-16" in diameter. He only will accept shrimp. He sits directly under one of my 175w MHs about midway in the water column. I add Iodine and Iron twice a week along with my other supplements. He completely dominates the entire right side of my tank. Check out his pic in the recent "problem" post. The last pic of him does better justice. The first pics are from the spawning event. I'll post more of him here when I get back to my computer.

Let's see if I can get this right. I am no computer wiz and have been having trouble posting pics.

How can I get the pics to be full size in the text area instead of like the previous post? :?

Thanks Fishfreek. I wish I could say I was an expert with this guy, but I have to be honest, I think it was mostly luck. :) Now that time has passed it has gotten easier, but he still throws me for loops every now and then (the spawning event). :wink: Thanks for the link I will take notes.

Back
Top Bottom