Magnum 350 Canister Filter Media...do I need carbon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TammyD001

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I've always played by the rule book and used the recommended filter media for my Marineland/Magnum 350 canister filter. I replace the filter sleeve and fill the "center" of the filter with carbon.
I've been reading on other threads that carbon isn't necessary is the tank unless it's removing medication from the water. This isn't the case for me, so what are some suggestions for filter media?
Thanks for your help.

carbon can remove other things like chlorine from tap water
in a tank with a good amount of fish I would always use carbon
if you have a tank with live plants u can make choices

but what it really comes down to is how often do you change your water?
if less than every two weeks, use a carbon filter

You don't need anything. As long as you have a filter pad that you can rinse, then you don't need to buy anything.

If you plan on buying more fish tanks in the future, then you could always buy some aquarium ceramic rings or biomax and add them to your filter. They will grow bacteria on them, so you can use them as seeding material.

You dont NEED carbon, but it dosent hurt, and helps keep ammo and other toxins in check. If you dont replace it it can leach off toxins. I use it because I have an over stocked tank, and enjoy the extra help.

Thank you everybody for your posts. I will continue to use the carbon. My tank is heavily stocked so I'll take all of the extra 'help' that I can get. I have an AquaClear filter on the back of my tank and I do use the ceramic rings in there. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom