Magnum 350 issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slagator

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My Marineland Magnum 350 canister filter stopped working after some generator issues after Hurricane Sandy rolled through. After our first generator died, my Uncle came by with another and apparently hooked it up wrong (power was going to the wrong prong on the plug). This caused all kinds of issues in the house like smoking surge protectors, but no real damage except my filter just rattles now. I have been looking around for how to fix this and all I find is replace the impeller or magnet on it. They both look fine but I don't want to buy a new one and find out that the backwards electricity at 220v screwed up the motor. I have disassembled it three times looking for anything that could be wrong and found nothing. Right now it turns on, rattles, and has no flow at all, any help would be appreciated.

It's probably the motor. If everything outside of the motor looks fine than it has to be that. Does the motor make sounds if you take the impeller out and run it dry, or does the sound come from the impeller itself (always the case)? Did you remove and clean all the parts before trying it after you noticed the noise?

Thank you for your help. It seems that it is just the impeller rattling around, I felt the sides of it again and there seems to be a bit of a groove. I cleaned everything well and it is still doing making the same noise. I ordered a new impeller on Amazon, but in the mean time I put in a power-head with a pre-filter, two air stones, and am doing frequent water changes.

Let us know if the new impeller gets the job done. I got my fingers crossed for you. Nine times out of ten a new impeller does the trick though with the power issue...

i had same issue with mine replaced magnet and like new that was 2 months ago fine ever since... mine was bad from being lazy but learned my lesson

So I got the new magnet because mine was scored, but when I went to change it I noticed that the impeller was cracked. I would like to think that I would have noticed this before and that the crack was due to trying it repeatedly when it wasn't working, but who knows, I could have just been missing that important fact the whole time. I got the new impeller, installed everything today, and it works great. No fish died due to my shenanigans without my main filter running, and now it works so I am happy. Thanks for all of your advice.

Phew... That's great news! It's always a good feeling to get everything back up and running after a breakdown. Well done. :D

Back
Top Bottom