Major cleanup...how do you do it??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

faerykisses

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all!

Just wondering what your personal preferences are on major over haul type jobs.

I want to remove the remainder of my CC, not much really, but it requires moving most of the LR I have.

Also, I want to reaquascape the LR and possibly add some more LS.

IF I want to do all this is one sitting, is it possible????

At this time I would probablly clean all components, skimmer, filter, powerheads...etc...

I have a very large tote that I can transfer all critters to, but is this really safe, and/or the best option???

Should I set up another tank with the exsisting water, filter and all?

Should I save adding the LS for another time? So many options....

I have 3 fish, 3 feather dusters, numerous snails/crabs/shrimp and an anenome....

Do I risk moving them all?

Plus this type of overhaul requires several hours (55 gallon)....sooo any ideas or insight into how you guys handle an over haul would be greatly appreciated.

TIA...looking forward to hearing any ideas...

Crys

your best bet is to set up another tank with the old tank water and most of the equipment (heater, powerheads...etc) then take everything out of the tank, scrub everything up, and move them back in. I would suggest adding the ls before the h2o to stay away from the cloud, just put a plate in the bottom of the tank and pour the h2o on that, will really cut down on the cloud storm. You could also mix some h20 and place the lr in that tub after the h20 has sat for a night and then aquascape when ready....I did all this to my 46 gallon bow in less than 4 hours with a little help. Not a fun process but a nice clean tank when all finished.

Thanks so much!!!! I appreciate the help, I do have a smaller tank I can use for a bit....I think it will work...

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom