Major fish loss... no clue why

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TraceyB4602

Aquarium Advice FINatic
For the last 2 days I have lossing fish. I should start with I just finished curing ich, which I last a tetra to, and one of the fish, a guppy I was holding on to for my mother had some fungus on it. That fish died 3 nights ago after I found him stuck to the filter. He was only in the tank a day with the fungus, from what I saw, I look at my fish and inspect every morning at feeding time.

Yesterday I woke up to find a dead molly, and my betta acting lethrargic and basicly just drifting through the water, he would go under the filter and get swept away. I also saw that one of my emerald cories was acting different, swiming at the top and sort of doing what the betta was doing. I took them both out immediatly. They both died shortly after. The betta look perfectly normal but my cory had a white patch covering its mouth, maybe velvet, not ich. After this I was worried so I did a 100% water change to get anything that could have been in the water out.

Then this morning I woke up to find my female betta dead. My other molly is breathing a little fast.

I have never had an issue like this before in the 5 years of owning fish and can't think of what could be causing this. I just bought the 2 molly's and 4 glo fish for my tank and I'm wondering if these could be the issue. The tanks which I got them from were fine, no fish were dead or looked sick. The glow fish and my other fish even my other cories, which are sensitive to everything are doing fine. I've been watching carefully and no one else seems to be feeling funny.

Tank- 10 gallon
Current Occupents- 2 head & tail light tetras,2 cories, 4 glofish and a black molly
Deaths-1 guppy, 2 bettas 1M 1F, a black molly and 1 Emerald cory

Parameters-
Temp-82 ( being safe after the ich for another week)
PH 7.0
NH3-0
N02-0
N03-10

I have 1 bamboo shoot in there if that helps.

I didn't quarentine the fish because I just moved and have no room for my 45 and 100g here so i suficed to my 10g, which use to be my quarentine.

Anyone have any ideas becuase I'm clueless. Could the fungus be causing the other fish to die? I'm not fimiliar with fungus, never delt with it. But it was cotton like and looked like what was described. Help please. Thanks

It's definitely not a fungus, this will not effect healthy fish. Plus it does not generally kill them that quick. How long has the new fish been in the tank? Did you use meds for the ich or just heat/salt?

Try bringing down the heat a little. The cories are scaleless fish, so the salt might have gotten them if that's what you used.

HUKIT said:
It's definitely not a fungus, this will not effect healthy fish. Plus it does not generally kill them that quick. How long has the new fish been in the tank? Did you use meds for the ich or just heat/salt?

I used the API ich cure it it helped in about 3 days but keeping the temp up to be sure.

The cories are scaleless fish, so the salt might have gotten them if that's what you used.
Cories are not scale-less.

Tracey, this all happened soon after adding new fish? My bet is that they had some hidden disease. You would have seen fungus before it became that big of an issue.

I would do some water changes until everything seems to straighten itself out. 50% daily or so.

You have a combination of possiblites with the non-quarentined fish, the ich and the stress of meds on fish. I agree with the daily water changes and monitor the fish's health from there.

That's the only thing I thought would help that's why I immediately did a 100% water change. The only one that I see that might be having a slight issue now is the second Molly I bought. The tetras and glows are doing fine but they are hardy fish, well my cories are too... So I don't know I look up all the diseases and have no idea. It so frustrating.

Could too many bubble cause an issue? I have a bubble bar in there for the ich and high temps never had a problem with it before but I have about a 5 inch bar in my 10g tank... Is that too much?

Nah, the bubble bar is fine. Keep the temperature stable for a week or so, you don't want to stress the fish any further by dropping or raising it. I would just do 50% water changes every other day and keep testing your water until everything settles.

Yea they all seem fine now... After the full water change my nitrates were still at 5.0ppm. Something was prowling the water. Don't know what, I wish I did I don't want that to happen again. I plan on dropping the temp this week it's been about 1 1/2 week since I've seen any sign of ich, I believe it's ich free now.

I pretty much narrowed it down to the Molly that died. They other fish I bought that day were glo fish and they're doing fine still. The one with the fungus died before it even had a chance to infect others. I hate it when a the store the tank looks clean, no fish are floating and yet you still have a death... In my case 4.

Back
Top Bottom