Major problems need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zhuber

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a biocube 29 every week I make my visit to the fish store after doing a five gallon water change. Today I did that water change like every week. I finish pouring in the water look at the tank make sure I cleaned up all the algae. Then see my fish on the bottom 2 clowns a dwarf angel and a blenny just twitching. I start freaking out they obviously died. I try to think what the hell could go wrong and I taste the water I put in that was in my bin it was freshwater I never have bought freshwater from the store I go to always get salt every week. Needless to say this was at about 1 o clock I did it realized my salinity dropped to 1.015. I have work at three the fish store is 30 mins away I buy ten gallons rush home my dad did a ten gallon water change all snails fish crabs dead. I came home only moonlights were put on my dad must not of put the water in carefully cause it was cloudy and the corals weren't really open. My salinity was at about a 1.022. Where do I go from here tomorrow ? What do I do?

Here's some photos of before I don't wanna show you after. I'm devastated and don't know what to do.

Attachments

• image-2472983663.jpg
    image-2472983663.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 141
  • image-1791751538.jpg
    image-1791751538.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 135
  • image-4124848818.jpg
    image-4124848818.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 163
Do another water change with the correct salinity tomorrow. Buy a refractometer and always check your water from now on, and never assume it's the right salinity. Pull out anything dead and don't add anything new for a week or so until you are sure there will be no detectable ammonia present, from any die off not removed.

Do another ten gallons? And should I tell the store they sold me fresh when I asked for salt? And will my corals make it??????

That's today

Attachments

• image-2585408959.jpg
    image-2585408959.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 146
Keep an eye out for die off and remove it. I would definitely do another change with proper salinity water and wait and see what happens. Some may make it.... Some wont
The previous advice was right on.

Ok best thing i would do is remove ur water majority of it and add fresh saltwater. Check teh salinity in ur tank after 20 minutes or so in ur tank to see what its at. If u can take ur corals out and put them in a bucket with heater and flow. Your tank most likely will not go through another cycle as u have rock which contain good bacteria keep the rocks in and you will be fine

I have a biocube 29 every week I make my visit to the fish store after doing a five gallon water change. Today I did that water change like every week. I finish pouring in the water look at the tank make sure I cleaned up all the algae. Then see my fish on the bottom 2 clowns a dwarf angel and a blenny just twitching. I start freaking out they obviously died. I try to think what the hell could go wrong and I taste the water I put in that was in my bin it was freshwater I never have bought freshwater from the store I go to always get salt every week. Needless to say this was at about 1 o clock I did it realized my salinity dropped to 1.015. I have work at three the fish store is 30 mins away I buy ten gallons rush home my dad did a ten gallon water change all snails fish crabs dead. I came home only moonlights were put on my dad must not of put the water in carefully cause it was cloudy and the corals weren't really open. My salinity was at about a 1.022. Where do I go from here tomorrow ? What do I do?

Just went through a major disaster as well. I would definitely do a huge water change. Your tank will most likely cycle again. I'm on my first full day of a completely new tank set up my coral seem to be doing ok. Good luck

Corals already so stressed moving them could kill them cause I considered bringing them to the fish store so they can bring them back but that much stress could kill them

Yeah your right. What i meant was right now your salinity is too low and its killing them any way from the pcitures you showed. So what i was saying was buy more salt water the same sort of brand etc from the same store you normally buy them and then leave them in there while you get your main tank back up to the right parameters.

Yeah your right. What i meant was right now your salinity is too low and its killing them any way from the pcitures you showed. So what i was saying was buy more salt water the same sort of brand etc from the same store you normally buy them and then leave them in there while you get your main tank back up to the right parameters.

Ok I get what you mean. The salinity is at a 1.024 right now parameters nearly perfect. It's just maintaining those parameters and basically nursing everything back to health hoping that it wasn't to much of shock to kill everything.

That store would definately be hearing from me lol. You should always always always test your water before adding it. Especially if you didnt mix it. Im sorry to hear about your losses and hopefully you can save everything else. Good luck!

That store would definately be hearing from me lol. You should always always always test your water before adding it. Especially if you didnt mix it. Im sorry to hear about your losses and hopefully you can save everything else. Good luck!

I know I'm deff gonna do it now I've just been getting it for 8 months every week I never thought to do so. And be never gone in and bought fresh water from them unless it was like a gallon

That sucks!!! If DEFINITELY be talking to the store!! Hope it works out well to replace what was lost. Good advice has been given. Good luck!

A water change will bring it back up and corals will come back. They are pretty hardy little guys. Your tank will not go through another cycle, and I would always check from now on. Good luck and I hope all works out.

* well multiple water changes, sorry. I would prob look to do between 25-40 percent a week just to really help keep things fresh and help if you kissed a crab or fish or two.

Back
Top Bottom