Major water quality issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

6329liam

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I am having an issue with my cold water fish tank.
I have a well established tank that has been going over a year, and I did a 100% water change for a deep clean. Normally I do a 30% one but on this occasion I never. Anyway the filter broke as I took it out the tank so I had to buy a new filter. I couldn’t soak the filter in the old water as that was thrown away.
I treated the water with normal tap safe and I added quick filter start so I could get some bacteria going. I have been doing tests and most of my levels are fine however my Nitrite level is extremely bad coming in at 6mg/l and my nitrate coming in at 119mg/l. Both are too high.
To solve the nitrate problem I took the advice from the Tetra website which advised to add Nitrate Minus into the tank which I did. Luckily that is working slowly. To solve the toxic levels of nitrite tetra advised I add Safe Start bacteria and Aqua safe to try and reduce the levels however it is not working. It also says to do 30% water change and to treat the new water which I’m also doing. I’m running out of ideas and I am worried about my fish. Please help! Please see attached results if said test

Attachments

• AF4B9CA0-495F-4382-AA32-37FCFA4F6B88.jpg
    AF4B9CA0-495F-4382-AA32-37FCFA4F6B88.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 25
Sounds like you crashed your cycle when you did the 100% change + a brand new filter. Did you save the filter media from your old filter to put into the new? That is ALWAYS a good idea- that's where most of your BB live.
I would do a big immediate water change if I saw my levels of nitrite that high.
You are basically doing a fish-in cycle at this point. Lots of water changes and/or dosing with prime to keep water parameters safe for your fish. Adding the bacteria should give your BB a kick-start but that does not immediately cycle your tank.
Also, adding bacteria and/or AquaSafe will NOT combat ammonia/nitrite levels. You need to do water changes or find a product like prime that does take care of ammonia/nitrite (but even with prime you will have to re-dose so it's not a cure-all).

Back
Top Bottom