Make profit on fish breeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I'm still in school so I don't have to worry about the electricity costs. Thanks for that info!
Your parents might though!!

Well I guess I've learned that you won't really make a profit to sustain yourself or anything. Just maybe break even or get some extra spending money (which would be great for me!
Try breeding some livebearers, if you can get a store to work with you. Even store credit will make it worth while. You could use the credit for a new tank or filter. It won't make you a millionaire but will help with some of your costs. I just think large scale breeding is more hassle than it's worth. All the costs involved etc. What if you get a disease and it wipes out all your stock. It could end up costing YOU money. I admire your ambition though!!!

Your parents might though!!

Try breeding some livebearers, if you can get a store to work with you. Even store credit will make it worth while. You could use the credit for a new tank or filter. It won't make you a millionaire but will help with some of your costs. I just think large scale breeding is more hassle than it's worth. All the costs involved etc. What if you get a disease and it wipes out all your stock. It could end up costing YOU money. I admire your ambition though!!!

Yah, if I do ever decide to breed anything it would probably just be some guppies or something and get a new 10 gallon setup.

Angles are always a good bet to sell as are guppys. This summer I invested approximately $300 total in two stock tanks and two Kiddie Pools. I placed them in my backyard and raised Endlers, Least Killies and crayfish. I started with a total stock of approximately 40 fish and 4 marble crayfish total. I'm happy to report that just two blind sweep net fulls of Endlers from my highest producing pool yeilded 49 Endlers and 12 Least Killies. You could not even tell any were gone and now I've removed over 200 just from that pool.

Kiddie Pools work great for breeding livebearers and stock tanks are best used to grow out cichlids such as Jacks, Fire Mouths and Convicts. Next years I will produce swords, platys and more Endlers and Least Killies. I will not go into too much detail here, check my on running post under Ponds-Raising Fish in Kiddie Pools. That post is the blow by blow of the summer. I will say the $17 10' x 10' pool worked best. I have another that is 8ft. x 4ft. and it crashed and had to be scrapped and restarted. With the late start I still got more fish out than the total stock used to start all 4 containers. I fed very little as mother nature took care of that for me. If you have specific questions after reading the Kiddie Pool post, P.M. me or email at craigstropicals@yahoo.com

Angles are always a good bet to sell as are guppys. This summer I invested approximately $300 total in two stock tanks and two Kiddie Pools. I placed them in my backyard and raised Endlers, Least Killies and crayfish. I started with a total stock of approximately 40 fish and 4 marble crayfish total. I'm happy to report that just two blind sweep net fulls of Endlers from my highest producing pool yeilded 49 Endlers and 12 Least Killies. You could not even tell any were gone and now I've removed over 200 just from that pool.

Kiddie Pools work great for breeding livebearers and stock tanks are best used to grow out cichlids such as Jacks, Fire Mouths and Convicts. Next years I will produce swords, platys and more Endlers and Least Killies. I will not go into too much detail here, check my on running post under Ponds-Raising Fish in Kiddie Pools. That post is the blow by blow of the summer. I will say the $17 10' x 10' pool worked best. I have another that is 8ft. x 4ft. and it crashed and had to be scrapped and restarted. With the late start I still got more fish out than the total stock used to start all 4 containers. I fed very little as mother nature took care of that for me. If you have specific questions after reading the Kiddie Pool post, P.M. me or email at craigstropicals@yahoo.com

Lotta info there, thanks! I'll let you know if I need anything.

Back
Top Bottom