Making an aquarium stand for a 40 gallon tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleco1415

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I going to make a stand for the 40 gallon tank I am buying and I would like to know the best designs. The tank is 36 by 18 inches. Also what kind of finish do I have to use for the wood because I would guess it would have to be water proof. Thanks.

I just finished making a stand for a 4 foot by 1 foot tank I just bought. I got a the basic instructions form YouTube. If you search for uraujoey he has a few videos on how to construct them. Once I had the frame built I covered it in some floor boards I had lying around to give it a better looking finish. I was a bit nervous about making it as my woodwork skills leave a lot to be desired but It is really strong and the tank has been fully set up for over a week now with no disaters

I just finished making a stand for a 4 foot by 1 foot tank I just bought. I got a the basic instructions form YouTube. If you search for uraujoey he has a few videos on how to construct them. Once I had the frame built I covered it in some floor boards I had lying around to give it a better looking finish. I was a bit nervous about making it as my woodwork skills leave a lot to be desired but It is really strong and the tank has been fully set up for over a week now with no disaters

Does your stand have doors on it or is it just basic?

It will have doors this weekend, hopefully.
I made it bigger than the tank it is 6 foot long. I wanted it to fit in an alcove.
It will have a door on either side, just to store all sorts of fishy things, and an open area in the middle with a few shelves for holding DVDs etc as it is in the living room.

I built my stand for 40b last year
img_2830933_0_8e5666b8f7a78e245eb7687b84649ae3.jpg

and I just built this stand for 90g
it's same style stand just finished nicer

img_2830933_1_a05e0cf8b1afe6ada2c52b7aca27baf0.jpg

When I built the stand for my 40b reef, I made it really tall... I'm 6'4" and I always hated having to get down in the floor to look at tanks. Also made plenty of room underneath for my stacked 20l refugium and sump.

I have an electric saw so I can easily cut the 2/4s to the correct size but how do I cut them so I can make two pieces of wood the exact same size. I know when making a stand that will hold about 350 pounds of water I have to have the wood cut properly and it can't even be a millimetre off. Is it possible to just stack two pieces of wood on top of each other and than cut them with the electric saw or am I just crazy.

I have an electric saw so I can easily cut the 2/4s to the correct size but how do I cut them so I can make two pieces of wood the exact same size. I know when making a stand that will hold about 350 pounds of water I have to have the wood cut properly and it can't even be a millimetre off. Is it possible to just stack two pieces of wood on top of each other and than cut them with the electric saw or am I just crazy.

It's worth the money to rent or buy a compound mitre saw

all you need to do with a circular saw is measure twice cut once
also take your time and it can be done
I never use the guide on the saw base when cutting because 9 out of 10 times there out of whack , I always follow the blade on my line I made and get precision cuts every time

I did like 54 seaweed, just take your time and all will be good.

I god my doors on tonight, and canopy finished :)

I would make it if I could yea I'm welding it myself I'm a welder by trade it's costing my about $90 to build it

Can I make the stand so that I can fit another 40 gallon under it or can I only fit a 20 long.

Back
Top Bottom