Making caves...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was planning on using a coke or sprite bottle to make a couple caves, but decided on plastic containers instead. Now I wish there was an easier way of doing this, but I don't think there is. I've been spreading some aquarium-safe silicone on the plastic container in 3 inch blocks, then placing the rocks on like a jigsaw puzzle. Taking a long time, lol. The first 3 pics are of the rock cave I started, and the 2nd 3 pictures is another cave I started using pool filter sand as the siding. Let me know what you think.

Images were deleted, will get new ones.

Anyone who has MTS like this is sick in the head, lol. Going on 6 hours and about 2/3 of the way done with the first cave. Won't have enough silicone for the 2nd, had to order more in today. Once I get the new silicone, will work on the second cave. This is a lonnnnnnggggggg process......

hi again...

Just finished my first cave. I used a ziplock plastic container, some aquarium silicone, and rock. I think it turned out great, and the rock is just too hard to pull off the container. So it worked great.

You won't see the lip of the container, as it will be set into the pool filter sand. Going to look awsome. Can't wait til my filter gets in, so I can fill the tank and get it running.

The entrance is the small hole in the last picture. This cave is for my eels, so it's a little smaller entrance just for them.

pretty nice looking, i'm gonna try the same, maybe rig some plants on top so the fish won't rip them up lol

hi again...

I have no problems with fish ripping them up. Here's the final pics.

tank1.jpg

The green plant is attached to the top of the cave and draped over it.

Hey I did a simular project with 3" pvc pipe cut in half. Your caves are larger than mine, and look great. I think I might copy that idea. My loaches just love the one's I made. They do take some time to build, but hey if you like DIY.

TwoHobbies said:
Hey I did a simular project with 3" pvc pipe cut in half. Your caves are larger than mine, and look great. I think I might copy that idea. My loaches just love the one's I made. They do take some time to build, but hey if you like DIY.

And besides DIY, you save $$$. Wouldn't ever pay the high prices for the small caves in the pet stores like Petco. I found another source for a nice cave. Just hope it's not too rough for the fish, as I got 2 of them.

http://www.fountainsnslate.com/inc/sdetail/2858

Back
Top Bottom