making the water good...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgetheplec

Aquarium Advice Regular
id like to try to make my tank perfect as i can for my plec, he is about 13 inch long, i have a feeling that this might conflict with my other fish, which are mainly tetra breed and a couple of silver dollars.
i am quite new to fish keeping, i have a 55ft tank which i change about 50% water every week, mainly because george is a big pooper, i have quite a good filter, cant remember atm which one, i use a water clarifier after ive done the water change, the tank is quite clear for about a week, then i have to clean it, it is quite a pain moving two large kitchen bins full of water outside to dump it, so id like to do less water change and more balance, ive just got myself a master water tester and this picture is of the ph. i am totally unsure what is perfect for george and what will keep the others happy.
i have only tested the ph atm, i get confused easily and asking about ph first will make it easier for me to understand.
ive kept the fish happy so far...now i want them ecstatic! ??

image-346136808.jpg

Main thing is to keep your ph steady...clarifier isn't necessary&your pleco is most likely to large for your tank...also your fish has a huge bio-load...my advice is to rehome your fish&look into smaller pleco species if having one is a must..

if i got rid of george i would have to change my name lol
george stays.
he is the reason why i posted in the first place, when i got my tank it came with fish and i replaced what was lost due to transporting, i replaced with smaller fish and less fish than originally, there was rainbow fish and angel fish also, but these died :(
if i can work on trying to get the ph right for a plec, then i can work on the rest of the stuff. getting rid of him isnt an option, sorry.

it is quite a pain moving two large kitchen bins full of water outside to dump it, so id like to do less water change and more balance,
ive kept the fish happy so far...now i want them ecstatic! ?dc20?dc1f

Water changes arent going away but you should look into a python hose for your water changes.

Get a python for water changes. George is too big for such a small tank. Do 50% water changes every 2 days until you realize the best thing is rehoming George or getting a tank that is suitable such as 125+

if i got rid of george i would have to change my name lol
george stays.
he is the reason why i posted in the first place, when i got my tank it came with fish and i replaced what was lost due to transporting, i replaced with smaller fish and less fish than originally, there was rainbow fish and angel fish also, but these died :(
if i can work on trying to get the ph right for a plec, then i can work on the rest of the stuff. getting rid of him isnt an option, sorry.

Didn't change my name after rehoming my Oscar&Green Terror...LOL.. but really imagine yourself living in a closet,that is an example of what George is living in...he'll continue to grow with an increasing bio-load...not trying to be critical but I'm sure you're not living in a closet with a 55g tank...as stated above your looking at several pwc's a week or look into a larger tank...

Get a python for water changes. George is too big for such a small tank. Do 50% water changes every 2 days until you realize the best thing is rehoming George or getting a tank that is suitable such as 125+

Amazon.com: Aqueon 06232 Siphon Vacuum Aquarium Gravel Cleaner with Bulb, 10-Inch: Pet Supplies
i have this, it works great...it is just a pain having to dig everything out every week, to do a tank clean.
i really dont want to have to get rid of george...i know what you are saying, he is too big, but, if i must...i will...i would like to identify him first though, someone told me he is a leopard plec...?

Back
Top Bottom