making water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you are talking about mixed SW I`ve kept it as long as a week or two before use.

Ive kept water for several weeks. Though if you do this, I would recommend checking the salinity levels before dumping it in your tank for a PWC ( should anyhow.. but especially after having it sit). If I use it within a week it doesnt vary much, but longer than that, water tends to evaporate and I have to add a bit of fresh water. Also make sure to have a power head or stir it up really well and wait a bit ( maybe 24 hours) if its been sitting for a long time.

this was treated tap water + salt mix, I just got an Ro/di for christmas, so I'll let you know how that goes when I start making batches of make up water.

I've stored mixed water for months, leaving the vat without any aeration/agitation from a powerhead or heater without any problems. As Catmel said, check salinity before use and after 24hrs of re-agitation/aeration.

I always have at least one PWC on hand in a tub, and just keep adding to it when I get low. I empty out the tub about once every 6 months and muck it out. So in theory, some of my water in there is 6 months old.

Back
Top Bottom