Malawi Fry death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steo the great

Aquarium Advice Freak
One of my Malawi cichlids recently released some fry. And I now have the I'm a small breeding tank inside my large tank.
The problem is everyday day for the last 3 days I've been finding 2 or 3 of them dead.

Has anybody got some answers to this as I'm very confused.

Does the breeding tank have holes in it? Have you put an air stone in the breeding tank? Are you cleaning the bottom of the breeding tank regularly? What size is the breeding tank? And finally how many fry do you have in there?
Phew sorry for all the questions but they could be relevant.

garfy said:
Does the breeding tank have holes in it? Have you put an air stone in the breeding tank? Are you cleaning the bottom of the breeding tank regularly? What size is the breeding tank? And finally how many fry do you have in there?
Phew sorry for all the questions but they could be relevant.

Hey. Yeah breeding tank has hole and the water is flowing through it.
And there is an airdrome in the main tank not in the small one as it would be too powerful. And haven't cleaned the bottom there only in there a week now?

Initially I had over 35 fry but now there is probably only about 20 if not less?
And the breeding tank is about a litre or 2?

Thanks

I would vacuum the bottom every couple of days.It is essential that the water quality is tops for fry (as with all fish lol)
What I did was run a small air stone into the breeder tank but I fitted a check valve to the line which I had nearly closed.This gave just a few small bubbles but gave a good air supply.
Also what are you feeding the fry.

garfy said:
I would vacuum the bottom every couple of days.It is essential that the water quality is tops for fry (as with all fish lol)
What I did was run a small air stone into the breeder tank but I fitted a check valve to the line which I had nearly closed.This gave just a few small bubbles but gave a good air supply.
Also what are you feeding the fry.

Ok sounds good. It could that really be killing off half of them? :(

And I'm feeding them liquifry no 2

It's possible.Im just trying to let you know what conditions I have reared fry in and I've never lost a fish yet.Also at a week old I think you could feed them very finely crushed flake or pellet.

Back
Top Bottom