Malaysian Trumpet Snail quarantine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium1

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I got some Malaysian Trumpet snails from my lfs and I'm a little hesitant to put them straight into my 10g tank. Should I qt them or should they be fine as long as I get rid of the waste water? :confused: I have a 2.5g tank thats just sitting there that I could add maybe some dechlorinated water and some established filter media if I needed to. Its just in some of the tanks at the lfs, the fish didn't look to great so it kinda worried me, I just thought I'd double check with you guys. As always thanks in advance :).

guess what I'm wondering is will a disease be able to transmit from a snail or even the water inside it's shell into a tank? I guess I might as well set up the 2.5g I wouldn't think it would hurt. I'll have to leave it bare bottom tho so I can get them out easily. How long should I qt them?

ok well its set up with a couple handfuls of pfs from the 55g and 2 filter media cartridges I've been holding in some water that's had some pond snails from when I took down the 2.5g.

I'm not aware of any invert diseases that can be transferred to fish, or vice-versa. So you are probably fine. I suppose theoretically there is a chance that a fish-based disease-causing microorganism could be attached to a snail shell and then infect your fish but, gosh, I've never ever heard of anything like that happening.

lol, oh well. But I guess it wouldn't hurt to qt em for a week or two, just to be on the safe side. (They're already in the qt btw lol).

i would be more worried about the water from the lfs then the snails. though like you said it never hurts to qt.

Back
Top Bottom