Male betta with strange lump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EmberMerlin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

I already posted about this problem on a different forum but have yet to receive any replies. I had previously posted a couple of weeks ago on the other forum about his stress stripes. They went away but have now returned, though not nearly as dark. I was wondering if anyone here could please help me. My post from the other forum:

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 79 degrees Farenheit
Is there a thermometer inside the tank? No. I have a stick on one, but I use an alcohol based thermometer used for a science classroom to frequently (3-4 times a week) double check the accuracy of the stick on tank.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes.
If yes, what kind? AquaClear 20
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
Is the heater adjustable or pre-set? Adjustable.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Two olive nerite snails and 10 white gold cloud minnows.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One betta pellets and New Life Spectrum betta formula.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 5-6 times a week, once a day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-60%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Seachem Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 2.5
pH: 7.6
Hardness: 6
Alkalinity: 6

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Still stress striped, though not nearly as badly. He now also appears to be missing a scale which is shown in the picture below. In addition, I noticed a small lump forming on his right side. It has now doubled, if not tripled in size. I have also included a picture of that below. It is a bit hard to see but the best way for me to describe it is a raised lump that looks as if it formed in the inside and is pushing out. The scales on the lump are shriveled/ shoved together, if that makes sense.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He has started being less friendly. He spends most of his time in the back of the tank where he has his privacy. He also appears to be having more troubles swimming with each passing day. I feel as though his symptoms worsen every day.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? I noticed the stress stripes a couple of weeks ago, when I posted about them. The bump, however, has started making an appearance over the last month. What looks to be a missing scale appeared two days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No. I have no idea what it is and I did not want to just blindly treat him and hope for the best. However, he did have some API Stress Coat+ in there which was added about two weeks ago when he had the stress stripes.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No, not that I know of.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've only had him for about 2 and a half months. He seems fairly young, judging by the length of his tail. From reading on this forum, I would guess he is not even a year old.

Any input would be much appreciated. Also, if necessary, I have a 3 gallon hospital tank that he can be transferred to if needs medicated. Thanks again.

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 91
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 83

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom