Male bettas and silver dollers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Austrent

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have read advice for and against. I have a male betta in my community tank and want to get 2 small silver dollars! Is this a good or bad idea? My current betta has a non aggressive personality but is very inquisitive! Does anyone have any advice?

My tank is 130 litre. Even if I get small dollars still no go?

They really need schools of 6 or more and can reach the size of a hand/dinner plate. If you wanted to get tiny ones and a proper school you would have to upgrade or rehome after about 6 months IMO.

We sold Silver Dollars as Semi Aggressive. They can mow down plants and can bully smaller fish.

There are several species sold as Silver Dollars.
Some species get Really BIG. But all get too large for your tank. Sorry.

Thanks for the advice! I really want a second feature fish but dont know what to do? Ghost knifes are out to aggressive with the betta, angles are too aggressive, Guraimis are too aggressive, I wanted clown loach but we're told they get too big! Any ideas? I also saw pics of your chic lid tank on another feed! All I can say is WOW!!!! It is amazing!!!

I have 10 cherry bards. 11 rummy noes tetras, 11 neon Terra's, I male betta, 2 bristled nose catfish and 5 assorted cory cats! I have major issues with my catfish- I have had bout 10 die over 6 months for no explainable reasons. My water is continually tested and is fine , there are no bacterial infections- I have no idea what the cause is- but I have lost no other fish and you'd think if it was water quality I would have lost the neons or tummies that are more fragile? What is your thought?

Austrent said:
I have 10 cherry bards. 11 rummy noes tetras, 11 neon Terra's, I male betta, 2 bristled nose catfish and 5 assorted cory cats! I have major issues with my catfish- I have had bout 10 die over 6 months for no explainable reasons. My water is continually tested and is fine , there are no bacterial infections- I have no idea what the cause is- but I have lost no other fish and you'd think if it was water quality I would have lost the neons or tummies that are more fragile? What is your thought?

First thing that comes to mind is they aren't getting enough to eat. Do you feed sinking pellets or algae wafers?
Your tank sounds fairy full already. You've got some nice sized schools. (y)

Yeah I feed them frozen blood worms and sinking algae wafers, I also feed them 2 times a day and I even net the beta and feed him deprecate coz he is a guts! He has even learnt to come to the top left corner- he swims into the net and gets fed! He is a good boy! I did think it was under feeding and that's why I got all the extra foods. Actually my lil panda Cory cat- he was very small and very skinny when I got him died yesterday! I had had him for 4 month- although skinny was a good eater and was always active. But randomly died over night. It's a shame and I always feel bad.

Do u think that a few small clown loach would be advisable?

Where they all pandas? I've had horrible luck with them. I lost 4 in a month for no reason.

Clown loaches get huge. Almost 30cm long in fact. They also need schools.
Have you seen kuhli loaches? They're pretty cool. Only get 4 inches and have small bioloads. If you keep up your water changes and keep nitrates 20ppm or less you could have 5-6 of them IMO.

No not all pandas- there have been a few pandas, salt and pepper and albino! The pet shop has been really good- they replaced them but i continued to slowly loose them :-( the s&p have been the worst, and now I refuse to keep them. I was doing some research last night and I am considering some yoyo loach! They are better for small tanks as they don't get as big! And they will still co-exist with the betta

Austrent said:
No not all pandas- there have been a few pandas, salt and pepper and albino! The pet shop has been really good- they replaced them but i continued to slowly loose them :-( the s&p have been the worst, and now I refuse to keep them. I was doing some research last night and I am considering some yoyo loach! They are better for small tanks as they don't get as big! And they will still co-exist with the betta

That sucks. Might just be bad luck. You could probably get away with 3 of those guys. They prefer larger groups but your tanks getting pretty full. :)
Where abouts in Aus are you if you don't mind me asking?

I'm in Brisbane, Queensland! Where bouts are u? Yeah my tank is getting pretty full but everything us pretty small! It looks great with the 3 types if tetras schooling but I just want something bigger!!!

Austrent said:
I'm in Brisbane, Queensland! Where bouts are u? Yeah my tank is getting pretty full but everything us pretty small! It looks great with the 3 types if tetras schooling but I just want something bigger!!!

Toowoomba! :D not often I come across someone in Aus let alone QLD.

I just had a look at your profile! U obviously like betas too! Your tanks look great. And it is nice to a local face on here.

Austrent said:
Yeah I feed them frozen blood worms and sinking algae wafers, I also feed them 2 times a day and I even net the beta and feed him deprecate coz he is a guts! He has even learnt to come to the top left corner- he swims into the net and gets fed! He is a good boy! I did think it was under feeding and that's why I got all the extra foods. Actually my lil panda Cory cat- he was very small and very skinny when I got him died yesterday! I had had him for 4 month- although skinny was a good eater and was always active. But randomly died over night. It's a shame and I always feel bad.

They actually need meat based wafers over Algae wafers. They may eat them, but they are carnivores.

Some Wild Caught Cories may have intestinal parasites. You may need to worm them ??

Also my old Betta killed all my Pandas. No idea why. He lived with White Clouds fine. Targeted my Cats. :(

But you would have seen that.

Thin fish I target feed with a baster, so I know they are getting food.

Sorry about your Cories.

Austrent said:
I just had a look at your profile! U obviously like betas too! Your tanks look great. And it is nice to a local face on here.

Coursair said:
They actually need meat based wafers over Algae wafers. They may eat them, but they are carnivores.

Some Wild Caught Cories may have intestinal parasites. You may need to worm them ??

Also my old Betta killed all my Pandas. No idea why. He lived with White Clouds fine. Targeted my Cats. :(

But you would have seen that.

Thin fish I target feed with a baster, so I know they are getting food.

Sorry about your Cories.

nice catch! I didn't even think about them being carnivores.

I'm not too sure we get wild caught fish here. Seem like it would be more of a pain than anything with quarantine laws and such.

Just a thought, I would try purchasing from a different supplier.

Also I have a couple of Bronze or Peru Gold Stripe Cories (no one near me sells them and I can't say for sure which they are, look like Google images,) I adopted them. These are very tough little guys. My Emerald Cories are good too. Maybe you could try some.

Back
Top Bottom