Male Firemouth not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikedbom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two firemouths, male and female, and two other cichlids that I'm unsure of what they are but my fish store said they are likely JD's. Also a small catfish. 55g. Problem is when I feed them, the male FM just chases everyone around but doesn't seem to eat at all. Sometimes he'll grab a bite and spit it out. He looks great, good color but I'm worried about him not eating. Is this normal for FM's?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Been about a week now and make FM still not eating. Any ideas? Different food I should try?

The aggressive one is the guy not eating. Everyone eats but he's busy chasing them and doesn't really eat. He will occasionally eat a pellet and spit it out.

If he's spitting it out it sounds like he's just picky. Keep feeding and once he gets hungry enough he'll start to eat. I had to do that with a stubborn flowerhorn that wanted only bloodworms. Took almost 2 weeks before she started to chew and swallow pellets.

After 2+ weeks if he still isn't eating I'd start to get worried.

Thanks for the tip swifty. I'll keep an eye on him.

I have had this happen before. Once he settles in he should be fine. Sometimes overly dominant fish want to keep the others from taking its food so spends its time fighting everyone off. He probably goes back to eating after you are not watching.

I have had this happen before. Once he settles in he should be fine. Sometimes overly dominant fish want to keep the others from taking its food so spends its time fighting everyone off. He probably goes back to eating after you are not watching.

This is exactly what my dominate fire mouth did.

If your cichlids are fighting you could always get more fish... They enjoy a populated tank.

If your cichlids are fighting you could always get more fish... They enjoy a populated tank.

I'd disagree with american cichlids. It's usually okay for africans, but americans are a lot more territorial. Africans will chase in an overstocked tank, americans will kill until theyre comfortable with it's inhabitants, which could results in just 3 fish left or none.

Back
Top Bottom