Male GBR HITH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NeptunesN

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

Fish - Male Microgeophagus ramirezi
Tankmates - female GBR, 2x Nannostomus beckfordi
I've had them all for about 6 months. The GBRs are good stock.

Normal Conditions
20 Gallon, soft water - RO 1dGh 2dKh
50% weekly water changes, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate are 0
pH around 6.7, temp around 84
I run a sponge filter and it's moderately planted, never any issues
Feed NLS cichlid and community pellets
Noticed some white spots on his head last week, no signs in other fish

Started fungal treatment with no results early last week
Got advice from Apistogramma.com
On Friday, 75% WC and started Metro+ treatment (whole tank, not QT, not baths, not medicated food) with daily 50% WC and dosage.

No improvement it seems. Couldn't get a good picture, but took some video yesterday- MVI_4652 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

As you can see, 2-3 pits on each side of the head with white ooze, large bump on top of head. Still active and eating. No signs in other fish.

I know it's not ich, which leads me to HITH because of the information from Apistogramma.com. From what I gather it's usually caused by Spironucleus vortens or Hexamita spp (parasites). I can safely say it's not poor water conditions or poor nutrition and he's from a top breeder in the US.

I had a Pelvicachromis pulcher with Lateral line last year, it wasn't the same as this and he didn't make it.

Should I continue with Metro+ dosing in water? Should I do anything else? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to AA!!

Thanks for all the great information! How are you dosing the metro (amount/frequency)? How long have you been using it?

It says 1 capful per 10 gallons, so 2 caps with the 50% water change about every 36 hours since Friday, so 3 doses so far.

I do not use this brand of metro so I am not familiar with the strength. Does it say something to the affect of 1 cap per 10g produces/strength of x#mg (ie, 200mg or 400mg per 10gallons)?

Welcome to AA!

I would discontinue the metro at this time and switch to Epsom salts, I know it sounds strange but it works far better than any medication. Since the fish is still continuing to eat I would start soaking his NLS pellets in a 3% Epsom salt solution using distilled water not tap water. Soak the pellets until they are water logged, don't do this to long as the nutritional value of the food will decrease the longer you soak. Follow these steps exclusively for at least 14-21 days and you'll start to see improvement.

I do have some epsom salt. Should I QT him or continue to treat all the fish? Should I only administer orally or should I add to the tank or do baths as well?

I do have some epsom salt. Should I QT him or continue to treat all the fish? Should I only administer orally or should I add to the tank or do baths as well?

Treating the water will have no effect on this as ingestion is the only way this is effective. I would personally treat all the fish as they have already been exposed to the problem, plus Epsom salt helps prevent future digestive issues as this acts like a laxative completely clearing the intestinal track.

Thanks. Did the first feeding just now. I should continue daily WC right?

By the sound of it your parameters are pristine to begin with, so just keep the nitrates below 10ppm and you'll be fine. Just keep up the daily Epsom salt feedings and go back to your normal water change schedule.

All right, will keep an eye. I'm thinking the metro being gram negative should have left most of the BB intact.

Yes the more common ingredients for flagellated protozoans such as Praziquantel, Dflubenzuron, Metronidazole and Acriflavin will have no effects on beneficial bacteria.

Been feeding epsom salt saturated NLS pellets for about 2 weeks now, no improvement. Tank-mates show no change. He is still active and hungry.

Seems it may be spreading to the front part of his dorsal, but I can't say for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_4728.jpg
    IMG_4728.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 53
Thanks. I can probably find some clout, I have malachite green - would I just use that or go for the clout?

Should I treat everyone or should I just put him into his own QT at this point?

Metronidazole and Praziquental would be the next best choice then, I'd also keep feeding the Epsom soaked pellets during treatment as well since this will keep the digestive track clear.

He had no change in anything until today. Still active, hungry, but he began developing pits and had white cloudy stuff and his face started diminishing. Put him down. Thanks for the help though.

Back
Top Bottom