Male guppies: bloated or normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arodd525

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, I have two male guppies for about 4 months now and they both seem pretty happy, playing with each other and scavenging for food during most of the day. However, they both seem to have a large belly. I have attached a couple of pictures. This could be from overfeeding, as I had to leave for a week-long vacation last month and used an automated feeder that was not well calibrated. However, they had always had a somewhat large belly before that. Currently, I am treating the tank with PraziPro to eliminate any internal parasites they might have and started to do epsom salt bath since last night. Things haven't really changed. I've also been feeding them less (3-4 times per week with blanched peas and once per week with frozen brine shrimp). My water parameters are below.

I am hoping to get extra pairs of eyes with more experience to tell me whether my guppies are normal or bloated. If this does not go away with PraziPro and epsom salt treatment under limited feeding, should I treat them for dropsy?

29 gallon. Ammonium 0, nitrite 0, nitrate ~5ppm. pH = 7.5-7.8. Temperature = 79-80.
It is a reasonably well planted tank with s. repens, java ferns, moss balls, and some other tall plants.
Tank has 2 nerites and 7 amano shrimp, all have been living together with the guppies for about 2 months with no problem.

The first two pictures are from today; the last two are from 2 months ago.

Attachments

• IMG_5206.jpg
    IMG_5206.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5200.jpg
    IMG_5200.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5199.jpg
    IMG_5199.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4765.jpg
    IMG_4765.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 22
Yes looks a bit over fed like you stated. i would just feed less it will be healthier for the Guppies.

Thank you! One of them does have stringy poop a couple of times. I am treating them with PraziPro for a couple of doses and Epsom salt baths see how they do after!

Back
Top Bottom