Male guppy tail issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_misteak11

Aquarium Advice Regular
Male guppy tails :(

My new male guppys tails look like there are slowly deteriating and dont look as full as they did when i got them any ideas?

My two new male guppies tails are looking a little ragged since i got them. Any ideas?

Fin rot. There could be several causes for it, but hopefully its just a mild bacterial thing. Unless there are any bullying fish in the tank, then nipping would be an option.
Do you have a test kit for tank parameters?

No but i noticed a small ick outbreak whoch i am treating now but could it also be from stress from recently moving them from the fish store?

They probably came to you with ich. If you use salt for the ich treatment, that should hopefully help with the fin rot too.

Are there any other fish in the tank? They could be getting nipped from other fish, without any pictures its hard to tell. It could be fin rot as well, in this case the tail will have a white edge and looked frayed.
Pics will definitely help diagnosis :)

Kosher salt. Its like table salt, but just straight NaCl. You don't want iodized salt. Its the same thing as pickling salt or natural sea salt with no additives.\
You also should raise the temperature slowly to 86 degrees and leave it there for at least a week after the last visible symptom is gone.
I should have asked you this first, what tankmates do you have in this tank? Live plants?

Yeh there are platys mollies balloon mollies and some tetras i havent seen any fish besides the female guppys chasing him and i just got them today so i dont think its rot

I have female guppys mollies balloon mollies platys swordtails and some tetras but ive only noticed the female guppys chasing them

The first day in a new tank is stressful and sometimes fish can injure themselves if they are frightened. It may be because the guppies have swam into something sharp and they have cut their fins. Some tetras are notorious fin nippers, do you know what kind of tetra you have?

I have no idea but i have been watching them for a few an none of the tetras seem to mind them at all

OK, the other fish should be fine with salt. Since you have the bamboo plant, you may want to use a little less salt than the suggested amount.
BTW, is your bamboo sticking out of the water? It will eventually drown if its all underwater.

Yeh it really tall its sticks out a good foot or so and i just added the plant as well will it do anything good for the tank?

It should eat up some of the nitrates in the tank. So thats good. Honestly, one plant doesn't really make a whole lot of difference of the params, but a lot of fish like to hide around plants. :)

Will they eventually stop hanging at the top as in the picture and almost laying on the ground?

Back
Top Bottom