Male guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Graemecookie

Aquarium Advice Activist
My male guppy has been in my tank for about 2 months and now it's tail is another flowing any more and is back half of his body is all limp! Just wondering of he is dying! The female guppies are fine! Please see the photo and give me some advice

This is him I have no aggressive fish in my tank either

Attachments

• image-907982319.jpg
    image-907982319.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 118
It looks and sounds like a condition called tail walking. It's from a bacteria that's usually caused by an ammonia spike. The spike doesn't give all the fish the disease, but the bacteria is contagious.
Tail walking can be cured with a strong broad spectrum antibiotic. But you need to separate him from the others fast, to protect them from the bacteria. And start treating him asap with the antibiotic. Success depends on a lot of things. How long he's been this way. How soon he gets treatment. Keeping the ammonia at 0 at all times even if that means doing PWC 3 times a day and using a stress coat. How good was his immune system before he got sick and how weak is he now.
Good luck

Sorry to hear that, I had the same thing happen to my spit tailed guppies, never did find out what caused it?

It's weird cos my female ones are fine! Least he gave me 8 baby guppies tho : )

Yeah my 8 other 'regular' guppies were fine it was just the 2 double tailed ones?? It's a mystery

Back
Top Bottom