Male Krib won't let female out of cave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RightTurnClyde

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have two Kribensis in a 29 gallon, planted tank. They paired up very quickly and have successfully bred. Once the fry started wiggling, the male became very aggressive towards the female and won't let her leave the cave. Anytime she tries to come out, he chases her back in, like, "You stay in that house, woman!" He is the one leading a group of fry around the tank, while the female stays in the cave with another group. There are several dither fish in the tank to distract him and he occasionally chases them away too.

But I'm worried about my female. I don't want her to starve. When she does manage to poke her head out, she's very gray and her colors are washed out. Luckily, the cave is a coconut shell and there is a small hole in the top. I was able to drop some food directly into the cave today during my water change. But of course, the male darted in and probably ate most of it. Has anyone seen this behavior before? Any hope in changing it, or does he just happen to be an abusive husband?

Back
Top Bottom