Male or female Convict?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah that looks like a pair! If those other fish are in the same tank they will be massacred. Convicts are one of the most aggressive cichlids when breeding and will take down a full grown oscar with no problems!

I moved them out already. :)

Can you tell me is it possible to keep two females without too many issues? If the orange one in the photo is a female then I think I have two other females and I'd like to keep them. If not I'll give them back to the LFS. :)

Thanks!

Well it depends on the fish! All fish have their own way attitude. I have kept multiple females in the same tank but two I don't think so. If its a small tank one of them will claim the tank as her own. What size tank?

75 at the moment. Larger eventually. But if it isn't a good idea in a 75(?) I can wait until I upgrade. No rush. :)

Yeah that's a jack not a green terror! She'll be just fine with those convicts

LOL! She? I hope.. LFS sold it as a Green Terror - even looks like the picture on the glass - someone said there was coloring around the eye that indicates it's a Dempsey, however..

Regardless, that tiny little 1.25" cuddlebug has completely taken over the whole tank, and the three convicts (one of which is approx. 3 times his/her size)..

This ought to be interesting... Time to get cracking on that 125 gallon.

**** pretty fishy, tho.

Ok I think I am deadlocked between Convicts and Peacocks in a 55 Im afraid that I wont get to have many Convicts at all. Is this acurate in my assumptions.

I would go with peacocks if you want a lot of fish in that tank. The convicts will pair up and get very aggressive. You could keep larger cichlids in with the paired convicts as long as you have plenty of hiding spots.

Thanks Loveconvicts,

I had almost decided to go with the Peacocks but keep being drawn back to the Convicts. My indecision is making this alot harder. I cannot even set up my tank until i decide what fish I really want. Thanks for the info

Yeah that looks like a pair! If those other fish are in the same tank they will be massacred. Convicts are one of the most aggressive cichlids when breeding and will take down a full grown oscar with no problems!

Seems your confirmation was correct. After the last few days where the smaller fish was hiding, they were both out when I got home tonight so I investigated and found them surrounded by fry. So I have a proven pair, woohoo! Looks like my timing to separate them was just about perfect. :)

Quick photo... Hard to get a photo without one of the adults staring at the camera. :)

Attachments

• DSC_9337.jpg
    DSC_9337.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 120
Oh boy! Now that you know you have a pair just wait, I recently gave my buddy a pair I had for almost 3 years that bred like crazy! Id trade the babbies after awhile for feeder fish cut down on the food bill a lot lol.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Aquarium

I've been desperately trying to get my Angels to breed but they keep eating their eggs... LFS said they would buy Angels, but I haven't had confirmation yet on them buying convicts.

I do have a few predatory fish who I'm sure can take care of a lot of Convict fry, I'll have to see how that goes...

Moved everything to a 60 gallon (still moving to a 125 gallon in a couple months), but now have the three convicts, the dempsey, and three pictus catfish...

Any advice for middle to upper area swimmers to liven up the top half of the tank? The bottom half is pretty active...

That's a male. The fins never lie :) I've had this many times and they always turn male in the end. And might I add some of the biggest boys I've ever had like 8-9 inches!

That's a male. The fins never lie :) I've had this many times and they always turn male in the end. And might I add some of the biggest boys I've ever had like 8-9 inches!

If that's a male, he's sadly lacking in the "fertilization" department... The pink has laid eggs more than half a dozen times, and altho they buddy around together constantly, nothing ever comes of it.

(Besides, there's all that orange..)

Back
Top Bottom