Male or female jack dempsey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swalker

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is this a male or female jack Dempsey

image-2934116442.jpg

Attachments

• image-31718124.jpg
    image-31718124.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 121
How about these 2 I'm trying to find a female

image-4229273214.jpg

image-3426392713.jpg

I like the red on her fins. Very nice looking. Lets hope they take to each other and you can have a bunch of baby jacks. I assume thats what you are going for.

So far it's looking good they've been stuck to each other like glue... Got a few tail fin rubs already also

So far it's looking good they've been stuck to each other like glue... Got a few tail fin rubs already also

put on some Marvin Gay and dim the light and they should be good :) kidding. thats good they are getting along. best of luck.

Is mine male or female. It's almost solid black. I took this pic with my iPhone with the flash on and of course the colors pop.

image-670892058.jpg

I'm thinking it looks female because of the blue around the mouth area I could be wrong I'm just learning myself

Uh oh well my son has been calling him Jack so I guess I need to break the news that we should be calling her Jackie.

Lol wait for some of the more experienced aquarist responds..... Like I said I could be wrong but the body shape and mouth color say female to me.... Look at a male about the same size and you'll see the diff

image-3851745202.jpg

And the black dots on the body and fin aren't normally on females I read that somewhere but I've seen females with them..

Is mine male or female. It's almost solid black. I took this pic with my iPhone with the flash on and of course the colors pop.

View attachment 201512

Hard to tell take a pic with out the flash. Turn off the lights in the room and turn on the tank lights and you should get a good pic.

And the black dots on the body and fin aren't normally on females I read that somewhere but I've seen females with them..

The spots are on male and female but females are darker so they don't show as well.

In the beginning of me adding the female everything was going ok but now the male chases her constantly and nips at her. Is this part if the pairing up process or does he just not like her

In the beginning of me adding the female everything was going ok but now the male chases her constantly and nips at her. Is this part if the pairing up process or does he just not like her

If there is no damage being done then they may be pairing. If he is damaging her fins. Then you may need to look at removing one.

Removing one would that be for a short/long term period. I had thought about removing the male to my other tank while leaving the female in the main rearrange the main with her in it leave her by herself for a couple days then put the male back in. Do you think that would help any

Removing one would that be for a short/long term period. I had thought about removing the male to my other tank while leaving the female in the main rearrange the main with her in it leave her by herself for a couple days then put the male back in. Do you think that would help any

Could be short or long depending on the fish. If you have another tank I would remove the male for a few days rearrange the tank and reintroduce and see what happens. Sometime fish also just don't take to each other. That is why when people are looking for a pair the buy a bunch of juveniles and let them grow together.

Back
Top Bottom