Male or female? Red Top Lwanda

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squirrilah fish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got this fish a few days ago. I picked him out of a group of fry, sure it was a male because it was showing more features/colors than all the others, and was larger than the others. It may just be that I am paranoid, or that I deep down know its a female and dont want it to be, or it could be I am unfamiliar with this fish, and its anal and back fins need to grow out more. Please help me put my mind at ease... is this a male or a female? thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_1612.jpg
    IMG_1612.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_1613.jpg
    IMG_1613.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1614.jpg
    IMG_1614.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 312
It was advertised as a red top lwanda, and theyre pretty on top of it. Although I have heard they can be confused with Lemon Jakes.

How big is this fish? Its hard to tell sex of peacocks when they are small.

im usually pretty good at telling, and I remember I picked this one because I thought it was the most likely male of the group of 7 or so. I guess I just expected the anal fin to be a little more telling than it is. I have only had experience with a few Aulonocara juvies.

im usually pretty good at telling, and I remember I picked this one because I thought it was the most likely male of the group of 7 or so. I guess I just expected the anal fin to be a little more telling than it is. I have only had experience with a few Aulonocara juvies.

I have heard males have a spotted anal fin which seems to be present in yours

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm starting to think it is a male, I just read a post that they often take longer to color up. I have some Malawi peacocks that are smaller who show a lot of color. But I also think in a tank of nothing but males if I dropped a female in, they would be all over it. I know the red top is not a Malawi peacock, it's from Tanzania or Mozambique, maybe that is the difference. Stay tuned I guess. Maybe I'll catch it all colored up at night. I have only had it for four days now. Think I just need to be patient

Back
Top Bottom