Male to Female ratio?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PlatyLady

Aquarium Advice Freak
After discussion on a separate post, I seriously want a couple more rosy barbs. I feel mine may be lonely :( poor guy.

Anyway, I assume he's a male because he is very bright in colour. Should I assume that neon rosy barbs are like my livebearers - that is, better to keep more females than males?

I really want to make sure I add them properly because they are going into a predominantly livebearer community. Oh, and just to make sure, in terms of stocking levels - adding two or three more barbs won't hurt right?

Thanks!

PlatyLady...

It is best to keep Rosy Barbs in a small school of 5 or more. The male-to-female ratio isn't really critical but males will squabble a bit to establish dominance. As for your stocking level.....are they knee-high or thigh-high??? (Sorry...I just COULDN'T resist!!!) You'll be fine if you get 4 more Rosy Barbs in that 28 gallon.

Keep in mind that even Rosy Barbs will occasionally nip at the fins of your fancy guppy. They're not as bad as Tiger Barbs but they're not completely innocent either.

Back
Top Bottom