Male Victorian Holding???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

_Melissa_

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am so confused! So I have had this male hap the lfs so as a "Victorian Hap" that would rarely get colorful but had clearly defined egg spots and so I decided to get a female to see if that makes a difference and in hopes of them breeding. Instantly after the female was added the male colored up with black stripes and a little red and yellow. Its been 2 days since the female was added and tonight I look in the tank and I see the MALE is holding! I have had fry from other malawai cichlids and from all my research its always the female that holds... Here are the pics to show you! :confused:

FemaleFemale.jpg

Malemale.jpg

Hmmmmm i haveno ideand yes USUALLY the female is the one that holds.

Never seen a male hold. How long have you had the male? Is it possible the "male" is actually a female and the "female" is a male? Some female Africans that are dominant will take on coloration similar to a male, the Kenyi in particular will do this. Egg spots are not a valid indicator that a African is male, females have them also.

Wy Renegade said:
Never seen a male hold. How long have you had the male? Is it possible the "male" is actually a female and the "female" is a male? Some female Africans that are dominant will take on coloration similar to a male, the Kenyi in particular will do this. Egg spots are not a valid indicator that a African is male, females have them also.

I have had the male for 8 months, long story short he was mostly pale looking a majority of the time unless he was being aggressive to other fish. He started to really get aggressive with my nyerei and was coloring up when they would fight. So I moved him to another tank with only my insignis. The 2 got along but I didn't want to take chances so I got each of them a female from the lfs a few days ago... and here we are! He has shown all signs of being a male. The guy at the lfs even thinks so, he held our fish after I moved for a few days and was able to watch them.

I have had the male for 8 months, long story short he was mostly pale looking a majority of the time unless he was being aggressive to other fish. He started to really get aggressive with my nyerei and was coloring up when they would fight. So I moved him to another tank with only my insignis. The 2 got along but I didn't want to take chances so I got each of them a female from the lfs a few days ago... and here we are! He has shown all signs of being a male. The guy at the lfs even thinks so, he held our fish after I moved for a few days and was able to watch them.

Please understand that I'm not saying you're wrong, I just think its extremely unlikely. Further, I'm not seeing anything here that proves its a male - eggspots and coloring up when aggressive are both characteristics that can be exhibited by females. Further you moved the fish after it exhibited aggressive behavior with another fish, so it maybe a case of a hybridized breeding? The actual evidence (i.e. the fish is holding eggs) would in my mind be the strongest evidence presented, and that evidence would say that the fish is female. Again, just my opinion.

it has been known, especially if the male is the most submissive of the two or the female has issues holding. its always amazing to see though!! congrats either way lol.

did u know some catfish have been known to eat mouthbrooder eggs then quickly put their eggs where the mouthbrooder would pick them up from? this is the cockatoo (or some bird lol) catfish i think.

Perhaps, but in this case, the OP stated that the fish in question colored up as soon as the other fish was added. This to me equates to a dominant fish displaying, not a submissive male willing to hold eggs for a female. Again, just my opinion.

but look at the picture - the male has tapered fins, blatant body colouring and is much less rounded i think its the male holding!
i do agree Wy it is very possible and if anything a bit more likely, but this seems like a more male carrying case xx

Back
Top Bottom