Malnourished looking Jack Dempsey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BRWJR

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have an electric blue jack Dempsey and he was fine looking when I got him as a 1 inch fish and he seemed happy and normal. Now he is about 6-8 inches looks like he has no meat on his frame. He also has a curve in his spine. His color is good he looks like he attempts to eat but I'm not sure. He has been this way for a long time it's driving me crazy because I want him to be healthy looking. I have had him with other fish and by himself. I think since a fish he was friends with died he gave up. Sounds funny lol. Anybody know if what's wrong with my Dempsey? If it were a parasite I figure my other fish would have it.

If you can, post some pics. There are many ailments which can cause this. What are your water parameters typically and now? What is your water change schedule? What do you feed and how often?

It's possible he has nutrients deficiencies from lacking certain nutrients in the food he eats. He could also have a bacterial infection such as hexamita or fish TB, however that's unlikely if he is housed with other fish and none are also showing signs. Same with an internal parasite as you're suggesting. I do know that dempseys tend to need very clean water just as rams do. So any build up of waste (both food and fecal matter) could also cause these issues.

My first suggestion would be to do at least a 50% water change as soon as possible, while doing a deep gravel vac on 1/4th of the tank. Then repeat every 3 days until you have done a good gravel vac on the entire tank twice. This will help remove any build up of waste in your substrate as well as a large amount of any possible parasitic eggs/larvae. Also, if you don't already, supplement you fishes diets with some blanched veggies such as spinach and zucchini. ALL my fish eat these when I put it in the tank for my catfish. They're high in iron and other important nutrients. Just make sure to remove any leftovers after a couple hours. I usually put some in at night before bed, then the next morning I remove it with a water change.

If your fish doesn't improve with these tips, he may in fact have something more serious going on.

Good luck and I hope he makes a full recovery.

It does sound like fish TB or some internal parasite, but curved spine and emancipated is not a good sign. I would simply return or cull/euthanize them.

Yeah, could be fish tb or internal parasite, but OP said the fish has been like this for quite some time without spreading to any tank mates. That's what makes me think that it may be a nutrient deficiency or a fish of poor stock instead.

electric blue jack Dempsey and he was fine looking when I got him as a 1 inch fish and he seemed happy and normal. Now he is about 6-8 inches looks like he has no meat on his frame.

I have been raising fish for 44 years, I have a refurbished 4 - 3000 power binocular microscope from Tufts University. I too have Electric Blues purchased nearly three years ago at about 2 inches in length. My male is absolutely gorgeous at 9 1/2 inches long... very stocky and very active... My Female topped out at 7 inches and has bred with him on several occasions. The female has proven to be sterile Since the males fertility is without question from 4 successful spawns with a blue-green & golden mix female.
I've always fed my fish pretty much the same thing in every tank and only vary feedings according to species. My female electric blue was on the same conditioning diet as my Electric Blue male and his Non electric blue mate and that being two feedings daily... Tetra Jumbo Min Large Floating sticks and Cobalt Algae Wafers at the first feeding and chopped and rinsed Earthworms for the second feeding (as much as they would eat) about an hour before lights out. My female electric blue was absolutely eating... While my breeding pair was gaining weight, my female started losing weight. The area immediately above and behind the operculum leading all the way to the start of the dorsal fin looked like all the flesh beneath the unblemished scales and skin had been removed, leaving a concave appearance as if the flesh beneath was totally gone.. I put the fish down after the 2nd month of the worsening condition. On dissection and biopsy afterward, I was able to find nothing parasitic, or bacterial to explain the condition which matched anything in my library of books on fish diseases and microscopy which accounted for the outward appearance.
My best advice... Put the fish down - clean the gravel thoroughly with at least a 50% water change - and install an in tank 9W UV Sterilization unit for up to 40 gallon 13W UV for up to 100 gallon and run it 24/7 for a week.
This should totally rule out the possibility of whatever is causing your fishes condition to be able to spread.
To the best of my ability, I know my fish's malady was not disease related. I know she was sterile, which means she did have genetic problems within.
I'm not absolutely certain because truthfully I do not hold a degree in microbiology, but do the best I can with the many books and tools I have.
Gram Negative and gram positive bacteria... no problem diagnosing... Parasites... no problem diagnosing.... but this one has totally baffled me.
That's her in front on the picture... My gorgeous male to the rear.EBJD.jpgSorry... I did not take pics of her during the illness... It saddened me just to look at her.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom