Malnutrition?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ericwm

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I think I just lost my tricolor fairy wrasse, he started hiding in my rock a couple days ago. My other fish are doing great but they eat my flake food. The wrasse was primarily feeding on frozen brine shrimp, my LFS sold it to me when I started keeping fish. I have now discovered that mysis is much better for fish, could this have lead to malnutrition in my wrasse? Also I am thinking this is why my 6 line passed away a few months ago. Please let me know if I may be right, I have already switched to mysis and am looking for some confidence before replacing my fish.

Thanks

So I think I just lost my tricolor fairy wrasse, he started hiding in my rock a couple days ago. My other fish are doing great but they eat my flake food. The wrasse was primarily feeding on frozen brine shrimp, my LFS sold it to me when I started keeping fish. I have now discovered that mysis is much better for fish, could this have lead to malnutrition in my wrasse? Also I am thinking this is why my 6 line passed away a few months ago. Please let me know if I may be right, I have already switched to mysis and am looking for some confidence before replacing my fish.

Thanks

As long as the fish were eating then brine shrimp wont lead to deadly malnutrition. Also the should have been hunting pods in between meals. How did you diagnose malnutrition as the cause?

I'm not sure that it was the cause, I just noticed that my fish that primarily ate the brine shrimp were the ones I lost and the fish that fed more on flake and pellet are doing great. With this and my new discovery that many people claim brine shrimp don't have many nutrients I thought it may be possible. Also I have mat seen any sign of disease on the fish.

I'm not sure that it was the cause, I just noticed that my fish that primarily ate the brine shrimp were the ones I lost and the fish that fed more on flake and pellet are doing great. With this and my new discovery that many people claim brine shrimp don't have many nutrients I thought it may be possible. Also I have mat seen any sign of disease on the fish.

While its true that mysis are more nutritional in many areas it does not mean brine are incapable of meeting most nutritional requirements.

Ive had fish for years as with many other fed primarily brine. I would be looking at other possibilities. Brine is a staple food for many fish and many tank, if it were not nutritional enough it would not be so highly used as a staple food source.

Back
Top Bottom