Mama Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Futurekitmiller

Aquarium Advice Regular
Any idea when i possible due date for my mama molly is?

The fry at the bottom of the picture is from another mom :)

Attachments

• mama molly.jpg
    mama molly.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 108
Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate it very much. I also have a Dalmatian Molly. Could I send you a pic of her?

No. She is a potential new mom? I think she is pregnant but not sure how far along. Any ideas? The fry in the box is from my roommates molly. She didn't want to try and keep them so I thought I would

No. She is a potential new mom? I think she is pregnant but not sure how far along. Any ideas? The fry in the box is from my roommates molly. She didn't want to try and keep them so I thought I would
It's a bit hard to tell from that pic. I know it's hard but if you could get a side-profile pic, that would be better/easier to tell. Are the fry in the box with both those fish or in a separate box??

They are in the same one. Is that bad? I thought I was doing a good thing... :( should I keep the black one in there since she is close?

I'm waiting for my fry tank to cycle. Babies came sooner than I expected lol. I have a ten gallon heavily planted on for them eventually

Here is hopefully a better picture.
Yeah she looks pregnant, how long, i don't know. She doesn't look that big though. Could be about 10 days. If the fry are in the box with an open grill, they could swim up through the grill and the mollies will eat them.. If you can, i would get a breeding net as soon as you can. Put the fry in it and they'll be safe from the mollies. I would release the two mollies, until you can get a breeding net...

Sorry i have to head to bed now, 3am!!. I'll be around tomorrow and chat more. I'll give ya a few tips for the fry, if you need them.....

Ok that sounds wonderful. I will go ahead and release cookie. With the breeding net will the fry be bothered by the other fish sense they can kinda touch them or should I get another plastic thing for just fry? I really want to get to know how to do this properly. Thank you for all your help :) and once I have the fry in their Own container should I keep mama in there until she has her babies?

Ok that sounds wonderful. I will go ahead and release cookie. With the breeding net will the fry be bothered by the other fish sense they can kinda touch them or should I get another plastic thing for just fry? I really want to get to know how to do this properly. Thank you for all your help :) and once I have the fry in their Own container should I keep mama in there until she has her babies?
Hey, yeah you can go ahead and put the fry in the net(without mama). Leave the smaller mollie in her own container, as long as she doesn't get too stressed, she'll be fine.
For the fry, i would try and get some Hakari First Bites. It's a powder like food, especially made for fry. I find it excellent and the fry love it. I feed them 4 times a day. Only a very small amount. Remember, these guy's are only tiny, so don't need much. That's why you feed them 4 times a day.
I have recently come across a product called Repashy Gel Food. It's a powder that you mix with boiling water and it sets to a gel. You can place them in molds. They last for 2wks in a fridge or 6mths in freezer. I just drop one the main tank every other day and a few small pieces in the fry tank. The fry love it. I also have an albino cory cat to look after any uneaten leftovers.
I currently have 50+ guppies fry and i have only one in the last 3/4wks. They seem happy, healthy and very active.... Anything else you need to know, just ask away.... Ian

Thank you so much. I know have the babies in their own container. I have mama in her own container. She is not stressed but I think she is ready to give birth soon. She is not eating much an just isn't as active as she usually is. I bought the fry fish bites and I'm cycling a ten gallon aquarium for them to eventually be in. I have 11 survivors. Two have died and the rest were eaten because I didn't have mom Apart and the others found them as a snack. I will definitely have to look into the gel stuff. I'm really trying to do well with these fish. They definitely now have top of the line everything! I probably treat them better than my fiancé lol. I just hope mama has her babies soon. Will be a great relief.

I also forgot to mention I did buy first bites and the babies love them very much. I am extremely excited!

The first one is the "babies" room and the second is the main tank

Attachments

• image-71511349.jpg
    image-71511349.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 57
  • image-153043438.jpg
    image-153043438.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 60
The first one is the "babies" room and the second is the main tank
Well seems to me your well on the way to happy, healthy fry. Just a few tips for you,
I noticed your filter on the new fry tank, i would get a pre-filter sponge for it. It's basically a cylinder shaped sponge that fits over the bottom of the inlet tube. You might need to remove the cap at the very bottom of the tube. The sponge stops any fry getting sucked up into the filter. You could also use ladies tights(pantyhose) to cover the tube. They must be brand new, a really cheap pair wil do. Use a rubber band to secure it to pipe.
The thermometers on both tanks, i would lower them to about an 1-2"above the substrate, in the opposite corner to the heater. This gives a more accurate temperature of the tank.
The second tank, it looks a little cloudy. You could put some filter floss in there. This should make the water a lot clearer like the first tank.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom