Mantis Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kngsht420

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Right now im setting up two tanks. First is a 55 gallon thats gonna be a reef tank. The other one is a 250 gallon thats gonna be a FOWLR tank. I really want to get a Mantis Shrimp everything ive seen on them is that they should be housed alone. Jus wondering if i could put one in either one of the tanks.The FOWLR tank is goona be a pretty aggresive tank.if i could put him in the FOWLR tank could i put him first in the reef tank because that one will be done first.

I think he should be left out unless you put him in like the refugium or something.

In the FOWLR he'd probably be eaten, and in the reef he'd be a real nuisance.

You can put him in the reef one if he is the only invert you plan on having in there.He will kill and eat all other inverts in the tank.

You can put him in the reef one if he is the only invert you plan on having in there.He will kill and eat all other inverts in the tank.

They shouldn't be housed with fish either (unless the fish are large and you should still use caution) They will kill and eat just about anything. they really should be in a species specific tank and only one per tank.

i agree don't even house them in FO they have clubs that can knock a fish out which they will then eat

theres actually 2 varietys of mantis shrimp,spearers,which as there name suggests have 2 spearlike appendages,more built for going after fish than inverts.the second kind are clubbers,which have 2 clublike appendages and are more adept to hunt crustacae than fish.a mantis shrimp can strike with force close to that of a .22 calibre bullet.both kinds will kill anything that wont kill them first.

.22 cal bullet speed but a fully grown mantis will prob weigh as much as a .22 cal bullet would so how could it generate that much force from its blunt club.

i'd say its more liek a boxer beating on a babies skull not liek a .22 cal bullet

do you know how big a .22 bullet is?a full grown mantis shrimp would weigh a lot more than a .22 bullet.

a .22 LR bullet weighs roughly 2.59 grams I am pretty sure a full grown mantis hammer weighs much more than that

You guys go to YouTube and type in Mantis Shrimp.They have videos,including idiot catching them bare handed.

You guys go to YouTube and type in Mantis Shrimp.They have videos,including idiot catching them bare handed.

Well think about it, if something 100x your size tried to capture you, I think you'd be more scared than ready to fight. It's probably more scared than it is anything else

Jus got a 10 gallon tank for free would that be to small to put a mantis shrimp in by himself with some rock and sand?

Mantis Shrimp have the fastest or second fastest movement of all living creatures. When they release their strike, it is so fast that the friction of their club moving through the water is enough to boil the water on the leading edge of their strike.

If you look at it in super slow motion you can actually see the water boil.

Truely an amazing creature. There are two main species, clubbers and spearers, but in those two catagories there are hundreds of different species of Mantis Shrimp, some of them incredibly colourful.

for you guys making the .22 comments. The clubing is comparable to the force of a .22 this doesnt mean the club is the same weight or speed. Its a combination of the two. lightweigth at a high speed combination of a .22 is comparable to heavier/slower mantis punch. you guys are thinking about it the wrong way only comparing one component of "force"

Back
Top Bottom