Mantis update, Clash of the Titans!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brisc0

Aquarium Advice FINatic
BACKSTORY:
Well, as some of you know I have been trying to capture bonnie and clyde (my 5" sally lightfoot crabs) for some time. I was first going to sell them as a mated pair, however I now suspect them of being polyp eaters and do not wish them on anyone anymore. So, I am up late last night (1:30a.m) and decide to take a quick look at the tank before going to sleep, when what do I see!?!!? It clyde hugging a powerhead intake totally oblivious to his vulnerability. So ever so stealthily I run to the closet where I keep supplies and get my big net. Within seconds of returning to the tank clyde is caputred, an incredible feat if you knew all I have done in the past weeks to try and get him.
So what to do now with this monster crab, its 1:30 in the morning and red eyed demon he may be, I am humane. So I do the only logical thing, I drop him in the JBJ nano cube.
Now your caught up. So the thing that clyde doesn't realize is that my peacock mantis is enroute to my house as we speak, ready to be realeased into the JBJ I have fashioned for him. I wanted to start this post as I am sure an epic battle will ensue soon and I plan to capture it with my camera and update everyone. It should be very exciting if all goes well. I am posting a Pre-mantis pic of the JBJ to give everyone a reference to just how big clyde actually is, and to serve as a before pic of the now peaceful JBJ land.

That's so funny! :lol:

I am glad you caoght Him. I wish I had front row seats to see the heavy weight battle that will soon begin, but as long as you keep us posted, that will be good enough for me. Now you need to catch Bonnie. Then you could have a Battle Royal!! :wink:

Please excuse the drabness of the tank. I am about to add some cheto to color it up a bit. It just finished cycle a week ago, and the lights have been off the entire 4 weeks I let it sit. Aside from clyde it is also populated by a few blue legs and a couple turbos in case my not yet named mantis needs a snack.

its 3.5" and coming from fishsupply.com I will post a pic as soon as it arrives and I get it in an acclimation tray

How horrible, it appears as though clyde has told a cult of xenophobic astrea snails that the mantis is coming and one has made an attempt to hang himself on the newly provided chetomorph.

With a clacking of whirling club appendages the dread pirate Le Chuck makes his entrance into the JBJ. Immediately Clyde retreats to high ground and remains there still. Le Chuck, groing bored of waiting for Clyde to come down, despite his assurance that he just wants to talk, has started excavating a home. I have my eye on the tank, if anything happends i'll post it a.s.a.p.

I suppose the crab is Guybrush Threepwood? :lol:

So far clyde is proving to be a really big wuss. He is not an honorable fighter at all, and not a generous host. I don't think he deserves the name Guybrush...... WAIT! Whats that!!!! As I type I hear a loud click... and again... time to investigate.

Bah, the loud click was just the halides going off in my main tank, I must be hyper sensitive right now or something. I found Le Chuck with the nightvision camera sitting directly below clyde who is still content clinging to the top of the tank.

GOOD GOD!!!!! 8O A 3 1/2" mantis should be able to lay your hand open with a quick pop of his super Popeye forearms. Be careful!! I also hear that a mantis that size can take out a 5' octopus.....well, i didn't hear, but I watched a kick ass show on discovery channel about them.

Anywho, I also hear that they can shatter a glass tank if they feel like, so be careful.

Man, anyone think that Kevin should give me a gossip column?

Well folks, so far its all quiet on the JBJ frontier. Clyde looks as though he is growing tired of clutching to the top corner I can find no sign of Captain Le Chuck, however my children have not gone missing so I can only assume he is still in there. I am going to bring the lights up soon and see if I can get some decent pics.

Back
Top Bottom