Mantis vs pistol shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick862

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had a loud "clicking" noise for years in my tank and always thought it could be a hitch hiking pistol shrimp but since I moved all my live rock to a new setup with new cuc I starting to hear more clicking than normal I am noticing that some snails and hermits are disappearing. It's kinda hard counting every thing and being sure of what you have. I have never seen anything and I have tried to trap what ever it is but all I get is bristle worms, which I release should I? Mixed opinions on bristle worms yes/no?
any way my question is can I tell the difference from a mantis "click" and a pistol shimp "click"

Cheers all

Sent from my SM-T230 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's quite possible that you would have either one as a hitchhiker. If so they'd both be extremely small when acquired. I only have experience with pistols and can say that they can be incredibly loud at times. Other times not so loud. I would think that you have a pistol simply because they tend to hide more unless they have a goby partner to lead the way. There are two types of Mantis. Smashers and spearers. I don't think you'd get any sounds from a spearer as they prefer softer, meaty food as opposed to smashers, but I could be very wrong. A Mantis will have a very distinct burrow and will generally exit to snatch up prey, only to return inside to eat. I've read they're generally good at housekeeping and would expect to see the empty shells littering the entrance if it is a Mantis. Also, I think you'd know if you have a Mantis just by putting your hands in the tank. They get the nickname of thumb splitters for a reason. Hope this helps a bit.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

It could also be a rock boring crab. They make a sound like that as they bore into the rock, and are much more common than mantis shrimp on Fiji rock. Unless you got your rock from Florida, I would assume it's a crab.

Okay thanks for that, so what's the best way of catching it? Was the best bait to use in a trap

Sent from my SM-T230 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Meaty foods would be what I would use. A piece of shrimp or fish should attract just about everything. What type of trap are you using? If you are only catching worms, maybe it's the trap and not the bait?

Back
Top Bottom