Marble Shrimp...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guppy12

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi
i was wondering if any one had marble shrimp...
at my local petsmart they have them and they say they get 2", i asked if the would be okay with my betta in my 8 gallon but they said the betta would... die 8O
i dont know if this is true...
Thanks
G12

Attachments

• shrimp_124.jpg
    shrimp_124.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 150
4" is more appropriate, i dont think shrimp really bother live fish, you might want to consider a smaller shrimp, once in awhile a neocardina blue shrimp gets mixed in with a much of ghost shrimp, i'd say mine is 2" and all the fish leave him alone

im thinking but not sure, ghost shrimp would be easy pickings for a betta

check out petshrimp.com and view their's it'll give you some idea for the shrimp you want

That looks like Cardina japonica (Amano Shrimps). They can get bigger, but will rarely get much larger than 2 1/2" and even that takes some time.

They will not kill anything, and only eat detrius and algae. Lots of things will try to eat them, but these are some of the fastest shrimp for an aquarium. THey can ususaly escape slower fish.

So, they will not kill your Betta. Your Betta may try and eat the shrimp. If the shrimp has lots of plants and cover, he will probably survive (and never bee seen)

Here is a link with more info...

http://www.petshrimp.com/amanoshrimp.html

If the shrimp was at Petsmart it is actually more likely to be on of the Filter Feeding Shrimp, though I'm not sure which kind. They're easy to tell apart from other shrimp, since they have these fans instead of claws in front. Really cool to watch. They'll definately get larger than advertised (most already were in the tank I was looking at). They like high current and will often camp out near the filter output. If you ever see them picking at the gravel for food this is a bad sign, as they're not getting enough to eat from the water column.

Back
Top Bottom