Marbled Hatchetfish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jill said:
Had to resurrect this thread and see how the hatchets are doing. :) I'm still going back and forth with whether or not to get them. I notice you're in Morristown.....did you get them at The Aquatic Critter? They have some in now, and I really want them! Would be good to know that the hatchets from there are healthy. The critter has always been great in my experience. :)

Hello! I also wants some marble hatchets form aquatic critter. They are obviously wild caught chris told me they lost some but the ones they have now have been there for at least a couple months and they just got some new ones this past wednesday. Great store they seem to have everything.

Is Morristown in eastern TN? I'm from Asheville, NC originally so maybe that's why the name is familiar to me. :)

I love the aquatic critter....I live really close so I'm in there constantly. It's the one bright spot to living in a not so good section of town. :brows: I'm going there this evening to check out the salt and pepper cories they got in, and of course, to admire the marbled hatchets again. :)

I'm thinking I should probably wait on them though until I've finished re-scaping my tank. At the moment, my arm is in the tank every other day. :nono: I just want the little cuties so badly!! lol :banghead:

True you don't want one of those little buggers to go kamikaze on you.

I want 5 for my 28g I'm almost done cycling/scaping my tank. :)

Is Morristown in eastern TN? I'm from Asheville, NC originally so maybe that's why the name is familiar to me. :)

I love the aquatic critter....I live really close so I'm in there constantly. It's the one bright spot to living in a not so good section of town. :brows: I'm going there this evening to check out the salt and pepper cories they got in, and of course, to admire the marbled hatchets again. :)

I'm thinking I should probably wait on them though until I've finished re-scaping my tank. At the moment, my arm is in the tank every other day. :nono: I just want the little cuties so badly!! lol :banghead:

Yep, it is in E. TN. Only about an hour from Asheville here, so that is probably why you've heard of it. Most "foreigners" have never heard of it. Now, thanks to y'all, I want to go to Aquatic Critter some day! The biggest aquarium store I've been to is "Aquarium" in Knoxville. They have some pretty decent fish and plants, but prices can be a tad high.

Like I said, I haven't had any problems with them going "kamikaze" EXCEPT when I feed. The Pearl Gourami and Glowlight Tetras will kinda freak them out and they will jump up a couple inches. I tried to cover all the holes up in my tank, but there are a few small ones that I don't worry too much about. Maybe my Marbled Hatchets didn't get the memo that they are supposed to be really jumpy. :ROFLMAO:

Like Sharkbait said, they are wild caught (rarely can you find tank bred) so they are quiet touchy upon introduction. I recommend frozen bloodworms thawed in some tank water and soaked in a little garlic juice. I've heard it can really help boost their immune system because of garlic's natural anti-biotic properties. However, lucky you, since they've had them in for a few months I'd say you are pretty safe. Just do be a bit careful when re-scaping as yours may be jumpier than mine.

Coursair brings up a good point, mine were very skittish when I first put them in. They appreciated plenty of cover from Duckweed and Hornwort, but any floating plant will work fine.

Good luck and let us know if you get them!

Back
Top Bottom