marco rocks key largo smart start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I saw this rock and wondered if it was any good. Anyone try this before? I'm new at salt water and need about 20 pounds for my new 20 gallon tank. It's going to cost me over $100 at my LFS for live rock. Just wondering if I can use this instead. I plan to do a FOWLR tank with live sand. I'm in no hurry to get fish so if it takes a while to get established, that's ok with me. Would I have to do anything extra to use this rock or can I just set it up in my tank? By the way, the cost is $69.00 for 25 pounds...free shipping

I would use base rock @ 1/3rd the cost (my LFS sells it for 1.99 a lb.) your going to cycle the tank so it wont matter you can shorten the cycle by adding 1-2 lbs of live rock and use the extra cash some where else.

So this is not the same as base rock ? Nobody here in Orlando sells base rock. They want to sell you live rock for 6 or 7 bucks a pound. If you get it on the internet the price of shipping is high. I thought 70 dollars verses 120 or so dollars was a good deal.

Skip the live sand and go with either an online live rock deal (im sure theres a decent site with free shipping) or buy the base rock and cycle it. Live sand IMO isnt worth the price. Usually it sits sealed in a bag for weeks or even months at a time. Pool filter sand will give a similar look for 1/4 the price.

So this is not the same as base rock ? Nobody here in Orlando sells base rock. They want to sell you live rock for 6 or 7 bucks a pound. If you get it on the internet the price of shipping is high. I thought 70 dollars verses 120 or so dollars was a good deal.

My bad it is base rock :facepalm: works out to 2.76 per lb not a bad deal at all go for it.

Back
Top Bottom