Marine Velvet...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jake337

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I'm 80% sure I have marine velvet...I found my carpenters wrasse with the small powder sugar specs all over his body. It's for sure not ich. What are ways in saving my remaining livestock? I can transfer my clown pair, chromis, and wrasse to a 20 gal quarantine tank. Before I do that I will do a freshwater dip? Then treat the quarantine with copper. My main concern are my corals and my anemone. They are in my display tank. What do I do with them? Will the velvet hurt them as well? How do I place them somewhere where they will survive with lighting? Please help! I need steps and procedures. I don't know nothing about copper and the amount to use and such. Please provide me with as much knowledge you have on the topic and how to treat it. Thanks so much.

Well you need to get the fish in qt and begin treatment ASAP. Also make sure you have a copper test kit and test the water frequently. I looked around and couldn't find anything that indicated that inverts or corals are affected by velvet. You'll need to keep the DT fallow for the parasite to complete its life cycle. I found this article on velvet.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=16+2160&aid=2428

Good luck!

I'm pretty sure it hits fish, not corals or inverts. Get the fish into QT ASAP, watch those copper levels ( and other parameters) and leave your DT fallow for a couple months. If your fish make it, you end up with a clean tank and clean (and lucky) fish. MV kills really fast...I'm dealing with that now. Lost a Foxface and angel the same day they started to look unhealthy.

Good luck!

I'm pretty sure it hits fish, not corals or inverts. Get the fish into QT ASAP, watch those copper levels ( and other parameters) and leave your DT fallow for a couple months. If your fish make it, you end up with a clean tank and clean (and lucky) fish. MV kills really fast...I'm dealing with that now. Lost a Foxface and angel the same day they started to look unhealthy.

Good luck!

+1, Marine Velvet affects fish only and will not have any affect on corals crabs snails ect. You will need to leave your display tank fallow for a minimum of 90 days.

Thanks for the advice guys. I read one of the articles on MV and it stated something about the pathogen being photosynthetic also??? Sounds kind of weird since it also eats off fish? So my question is could I take all the fish out of my display and just leave my coral along with my lights on the same schedule?

Thanks for the advice guys. I read one of the articles on MV and it stated something about the pathogen being photosynthetic also??? Sounds kind of weird since it also eats off fish? So my question is could I take all the fish out of my display and just leave my coral along with my lights on the same schedule?

Yes, all you need to remove are the fish MV will not affect your corals.

Here a picture of my wrasse. You could see the small dots on it. Looks like mv?

image-574342646.jpg

Thanks guys! I was planning on buying some Seachem Cupramine to does copper into my quarantine system. Has anyone used this and would it be doing the job of killing mv? Also what is the recommended ppm to keep copper levels at?

Thanks guys! I was planning on buying some Seachem Cupramine to does copper into my quarantine system. Has anyone used this and would it be doing the job of killing mv? Also what is the recommended ppm to keep copper levels at?

Yes, it is the recommended form of copper as it is less harmful to fish. I can't remember for sure so someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the dose should be about 2ppm

Back
Top Bottom