Marineland C-Series Multi-Stage Canister Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeZ

Aquarium Advice Regular
I wound up purchasing this filter for my 90 gallon cichlid tank, model C-530. It is supposedly good for aquariums up to 150 gallons....yea yea, whatever :cool:

My original choice was a Fluval FX5, however this unit would not fit under my aquarium stand as I hoped it would...

I wanted to give a quick review on this Marineland filter. So far, I am honestly quite displeased with it...

Upon setting up the aquarium, this thing took close to a half hour to get primed. This seems to be common, as in the previous reviews I had read prior to buying it. Other than that, the reviews seemed pretty good 4 - 4 1/2 out of 5 stars...not too shabby.

Once the tank was up and running, I was forced to use an aquarium clarifier. After 2-3 days, my water was still cloudy.

The water will not stay clear, and I am repeatedly adding clarifier to get it clear. I understand that a new aquarium needs a period of break in to reach its full ability to be and maintain clarity....but this is a bit ridiculous.

Shall I go on....there seems to be an air pocket in the canister. Every 15 minutes or so, a the return blows out a stream of air. In addition to the fact that this filter will not clear my tank, the fine micro bubbles that things blows out, also effects the water clarity.

There are also times where the filter will go from being virtually silent to extremely loud.....almost as though the impeller is not working correctly; then it goes away and it's silent again.

Considering the overall size of this filter (it's the size of a small trash can), one would ***-u-me that it would be massive filtering abilities. That's definitely a no there! I am considering adding on an AquaClear 110 to this, as I have always had great success with these on small aquariums.

I am just curious to know if anyone else has experience with this particular filter, and what your thoughts are. At this point, I would actually consider attempting to get some kind of refund (doubtful).

I give this 2 thumbs down....

Back
Top Bottom