maroon/purple stuff on LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firemedicmackey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know this is probably a difficult guess without pictures (I can post tonight) But I have a purplish growth on all the faces of my exposed LR. The gentleman I bought the tank from seemed to be very knowledgeble about his aquarium, and specifically told me to turn the rock so all of the sides could achieve this growth.

Long story short, my wife went to petco on an unrelated matter, and two different people told my wife that this is a horrible bacteria that will cause death and destruction...Not that I dont' trust them, but I wanted to ask around before I scubbed the LR with a dish sponge, as they suggested. It growns just a little bit on the tank, and on the power heads, but the majority is on the LR.

If its hard purple and red, like painted on almost, it's coralline, a wonderful thing to have on your LR and signs of a healthy tank.

If it's wine red and slime like, then that's a diff story... even so, it's ot the end of your tank by any means... you have to see why you have it, over feeing, not proper water changes, over stocking, low water flow, whatever, but it's fixable once you figure out why you have it... but relax, Good news! Either way it's not the end of your tank :)

It sounds like Good ole' Coralline we all try to have in our SW tanks. You do NOT have to move your rock around, it actually would be best left alone, coralline will grow where it wants and moving rock all the time might make your tank mates stressed. Who cares if it's where you can't see it any how :)

Do not scrub your rock until you know what it is... is it hard, like painted on? Pics would help, but sounds like the good stuff to me :)

P.s. Always come here and get GOOD advice before acting on LFS advice :)

:D :D :D Welcome aboard by the way :D :D :D

does it look like this?

img_572372_0_5f7cfa188b2b05e22683c307d5b4c94c.jpg

if so it is Coralline which is a very good thing.

that is exactly what it is! I did clean the actual tank from it. I can't believe how wonderfully helpful you are!!!

Back
Top Bottom