Master Test Kit FAILED!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pgrhodes1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I test my water with the Master Test Kit (expires 8/2018) at least twice a day and have for the last 7 weeks. Trusted it completely. Fish started acting strange last Friday. Checked and rechecked my water. All was normal but changed water anyway. Saturday AM 5 dead fish including my Rainbow Shark who I REALLY liked. Changed water, made a 45 mile trip to town to get test strips to see if they would show different than my Master Kit. Sure enough the Master Kit is showing 0 Nitrite (beautiful blue color) but the strip shows 5.0 Nitrites. Absolutely makes me sick to think I trusted something so completely. Be WARNED that kit is not the end all that people make it out to be. Have no idea what caused the spike but sure wish I had known it was happening....:(

The API nitrate test needs to be shaken very, very, very vigorously to work. There is a powder in the bottle that settles and must be stirred up.

I believe the instructions tell you how to do this. Sorry you lost your fish, that's horrible.

For future reference, nitrates will hardly ever be 0 in a cycled tank, so if you see 0, test again.

Nitrates are testing same as strips. It is the nitrites that were showing 0 and the strips were showing 5.0. They are now nitrites 0 with kit, nitrites .5 on strips after multiple water changes.

The only thing I did different was clean my canister filter. I used fish tank water to rinse sponge and did not touch the filter media. However, fish were acting funny before that. If the Nitrites test had worked I would know exactly when the spike occurred but I have no idea. Emailed the company and let them know how very disappointed I am with their product. The strips may not be as precise as the kit when it works but I am going with the strips from now on.

Back
Top Bottom