material between tank and stand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fergie615

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone

I'm setting up my 55 gal tank and I've heard people mention that they put a bit of material between there tank and stand. For those who are familiar, what kind of material do you use, and is it necessary or just a good recommendation.

Thanks

I've never heard of anyone putting material between tank and stand. I have a 55g and have it directly on the stand that I built.

have heard differnt things,, a playing card should not slide under the edge at any point blah blah blah,, imo, use a flash lite , if you can see light to a large degree you must straighten the edge the tank will sit on, if it is a stand for the tank put it on like puttin it on!!!

I know of people that use foam, or felt (stuff you buy in a craft/fabric store).

I'm assuming you're referring to material used as a means of reducing shock waves sent through the aquarium, rather than something to "level" the tank?

I've got foam insulation between my tanks and stands. I even tape it to the backs of tanks. Reason being, it helps insulate and the heaters and thermostats aren't working as hard :wink:

This is sometimes a good idea for reasons mentioned above - especially in a planted tank it will help insulate the bottom of the tank and help maintain a constant temp to protect the roots. This is splitting hairs, IMO, and I don't think anything serious will go wrong without doing this. Most of my tanks are directly on the stand.

Back
Top Bottom