Mating or Fighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

animallover09

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have two pond size goldfish that I rescued from a really disgusting habitat. They were found in a bucket that had really nasty water inside it. Not sure how long they were living this way. Now they are in a cycled 55 gallon with some other smaller minnow-like goldfish that seems to have a disease (probably from the nasty water they were in). However, I am treating all of these fish with API Melafix (pictures of those fish are in the Unhealthy forum titled Sick Fish with White Bumps!).

Anyways, I got these fish last Thursday and they have been fine until today. One of the bigger goldfish has been chasing the other big goldfish all day. It was nipping at its bottom (not the tail) or its side. I thought this was a sign that they were mating since they are now in warmer and cleaner water. However, when I got home today, I noticed that they have picked most of their scales off. Is this due to aggressive mating or from being mean to each other?

Also, I was planning on doing a water change today and putting in more decorations/hiding places since they aren't so stressed anymore but I was afraid that a water change would mess up the medication cycle. Could I do a water change and not have to start over with the medication?

Attachments

• CAM01065 (1).jpg
    CAM01065 (1).jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 74

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom