Mating? Or males?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
alia258 said:
Has anything interesting happened to your fish yet? Any babies? ^^

Ok so my Opaline gourami pair is mating I think or in the beginnings of mating b/c I believe I've seen the male attempting to build a bubble nest. Here's the catch. I'm treating the tank for ick so the surface agitation is quite alot so the bubble nest just gets destroyed. Can anyone tell me some potential problems that could arise because of this? Also is there anything I can do about it right now? The male is starting to get really aggressive and the pair isn't swimming together like they were before.

You can make the water level higher and if that doesn't bring down the surface agitation you can put a sponge in the little box to ^^

Well the agitation is because there is less oxygen at higher temps so the other fish need the agitation for now to aerate the water. I have about a week left on the treating of the ick. Is it goin to hurt the fish if they can't mate when they want?

It's not physically painful for the fish to not be able to successfully mate, and they're likely to try. They might lay eggs elsewhere. It shouldn't bother them too much, and if you have to just put a divider into the tank to seperate them. It could also be that he's gotten so aggressive because of the urge to mate, at least I know that's the case with guppies, but I may be wrong on that assumption. It's best to leave them be for now, and maybe you can put a bubbler/air stone in because it moves the water less but keeps surface agitation up ^^

Ok maybe that's wat the dealio is. And ya I would have an airstone in there but I'm broke as of the moment so it's all on the filters to agitate the water right now. I shall invest in one soon tho thanks! And that's good it's not harmful to them because I didn't want them to hurt themselves.

Back
Top Bottom