Max safe temperature during the summer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jm667

Aquarium Advice Activist
I looked up some threads and found that if the temp has a large fluctuation between day and night that is what is dangerous for fish. Typically it doesnt not get over 75-80 in my house during the summer, and therefore with my tank being set at 78, it pretty much stays in that range. This week it has been getting into the 90s in the house, and the highest I saw the tank temp get was 89, but then it does not drop fast. It maybe goes doing 3-4 degrees at night. It is a 50 gallon freshwater tank with tetras and rasboras in it for now. Should I be concerned since the temp changes are very gradual, or is there a max temp I should watch out for?

I'd say if it is changing from 78 to 89 in the course of 24 hours I'd be a little worried. Have you tried running fans across the top of the tank? I'm not sure of a 'max' temperature... it would vary species to species. I'd say getting up to the 90s is a bad thing in general.

Also, if the temp in the tank is that high you might want to add a bubble wand or airstone. The higher the temp the less oxygen in the tank. You can either add an airstone or drop the level of your water (if you have an HOB) to create more surface agitation.

I have a canister but maybe I will take a little water out so the spray bar is out of the water if that will help. I guess since its 50 gal, it doesnt fluctuate as much as a smaller tank would. I'll watch that it doesnt get over 90. Thanks.

i agree with meegosh. i use fans over my tank to help keep the temps down. i also use frozen water in powerade bottles to help.

Back
Top Bottom