Maximum Tank Height for ADFs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm starting a community aquarium and would love to have some african dwarf frogs. I've always been fascinated with them and would love to try keeping them. I have no room for a separate tank so I wondered if I could keep them in a peaceful community tank. The only problem, however, is the tank's height. It's 19 inches high. I'm afraid it's too high for ADFs. But I'm growing some floating plants and I'd wait until they reach the surface before adding the frogs to help them get oxygen. What do you think?

I'd like to note that it's a couple inches shorter than 19 inches because of the substrate and the tank isn't filled completely too the top. I'll measure the water column to get the right number

Oh okay. I tried researching it but I got all different answers ranging from 24" to 10". SHould I wait until the floating plants grow?

Okay great! I'll get some once my tank is cycled. I might have to get one more cave for them, I only have one small one. Well, if I can find room, that is.

I've got two ADFs in my 75 gallon community and they do just fine. Keep the current at a reasonable level so they don't have to fight too hard (they tire easily while swimming and are not always the best at going straight up), give them "resting spots" on the way to the top in the form of tall plants, decorations, ledges, etc, and make sure you target feed them so they don't get out competed for food and you should be fine. They do tend to hide a LOT in community tanks unless you have a lot of them, so don't expect to see them daily. They'll pop out when they're particularly hungry or feeling brave enough to say hi :)

Back
Top Bottom