Max's 40 Breeder Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What's your light schedule currently? CO2 levels? Have you already tried the normal BBA responses? H2O2 treatment is great for what's already in there, but not so much for preventing the issue.

What's your light schedule currently? CO2 levels? Have you already tried the normal BBA responses? H2O2 treatment is great for what's already in there, but not so much for preventing the issue.

My light schedule is 10am-8pm (for 2 of the 4 bulbs), then the moonlights are on from 8-9pm. Not exactly sure what the co2 levels are, but the drop checker is green. What are the normal BBA responses?

I would bring it down to 6-8h, bust out the Excel, and apply H2O2 liberally. Think about upping co2 if you can. You might even consider putting some screening over your light to further reduce your intensity.

I would bring it down to 6-8h, bust out the Excel, and apply H2O2 liberally. Think about upping co2 if you can. You might even consider putting some screening over your light to further reduce your intensity.

I haven't had a chance to get Excel yet, but I did just reduce the light schedule to 2-8. I am also going to try adjusting the co2 but I won't know how much I increased it for a while.

I put the driftwood back in. It looks weird with dead BBA on it. The drop checker is lime green.

img_2601968_0_8fbc111c5cc009e7cada93321125f00c.jpg

The plant in the front right is staurogyne repens. I decided I might as well see how it does. It was in the back before, and I noticed that it didn't have any BBA on it. I think its leaves are too big or something. So that may be another way I can prevent BBA, by using it instead of HC.

I also added a bit of flame moss to the driftwood. I didn't have much, but I had to make due.

img_2601968_1_e53c8f7e5813fd892a2043a5a1851b15.jpg

Last edited:
Update:
I just did a lot of cleaning and a big water change today. The BBA still won't go away. I think it might be time for another spot treatment with h202. I will probably try to get some Flourish Excel too. The staurogyne is still growing slowly with some algae on it. I just removed a bunch of the blyxa because it was getting too big.

img_2649692_0_738be6fad5b3da70f68ae0bc8de55fb6.jpg

img_2649692_1_62da9427fb64dab15d456ba9c6ea12a2.jpg

img_2649692_2_3f0fa1afb6408a895c4fd6491ac36f9b.jpg

img_2649692_3_7b4d7eee029611ce3e8225d7fb647b3b.jpg

img_2649692_4_b4c2e80d1dd39cc997abf5115a06a2e2.jpg

Ouch, that's getting pretty bad. I think the added plants give the tank more of a complete look, it'll look even better once the algae is taken care of.

I don't remember what's in the tank and if they'd be compatible but some true SAEs might help. A lot of reports say they are hit and miss but my experience is they Help. That and higher co2. It is a pain to deal with for sure.

I would bring that co2 up, Max. I take a drop checker reading with a grain of salt. I run my DC yellow and my fish are fine.

Ok, I will move my drop checker back over into this tank and turn the co2 up a bit. I ordered some Excel, so hopefully soon I will be combating this BBA more effectively.

Ok, I will move my drop checker back over into this tank and turn the co2 up a bit. I ordered some Excel, so hopefully soon I will be combating this BBA more effectively.

For spot treating I much prefer hydrogen peroxide. 3mls per 10 gallons. It works much better. I always dose a lot of excel, too.

For spot treating I much prefer hydrogen peroxide. 3mls per 10 gallons. It works much better. I always dose a lot of excel, too.

Are you saying that I should just add hydrogen peroxide to the tank (not apply to specific spots)? I have used it before, but I was only applying it to the spots most affected by BBA.

Are you saying that I should just add hydrogen peroxide to the tank (not apply to specific spots)? I have used it before, but I was only applying it to the spots most affected by BBA.

Search 1-2 punch hydrogen peroxide treatment. I saw it on TPT. I really wonder why you have such problems with BBA.

My Excel arrived today. I just dosed the recommended amount (5ml every 10g). We'll see how it does. If it doesn't make much of a difference I will do the 1-2 Punch method.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom