May have over cleaned a bit!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

My Fish Babies.

Aquarium Advice Activist
So today I did a massive cleaning job on a 29 gallon. Mainly because the filter a penguin bio wheel 200 was running quite sluggish. Didn't scrub it out per say but used a small brush too remove a ton of build up that I believe was the culprit for blocking the flow. Kept the same filter pad. Tank walls were brushed down. Changed out air stone to a bubble wall. No fish in the tank right now was planning on adding a few snails later today. Tank had beed stocked with goldies for the last few years. All in a bigger home now. Wonder if this will cause a mini cycle? BTW what is a mini cycle? I read about it all the time on here LOL! Nothing urgent really just looking for some feedback if I screwed up or not.

A mini cycle is when there isn't enough bacteria to support the ammonia produced by the creatures in the tank. Happens when over cleaning or changing filter media. Can happen when substrate over cleaned or changed. Using chlorinated water can kill off bacteria causing it also. They usually pass in a few days or weeks. Water changed and testing must be done to monitor it.
How long has the tank been empty? To preserve the cycle you need an ammonia source.

Mini cycle is explained above but I will give a bit of input. Mini cycles usually happen when someone does a good job of cleaning the filter, usually replacing the filter media. At the same time, a really good substrate cleaning is performed. This destroys a good amount of BB, and the remaining BB cannot consume the ammonia as efficiently, so some ammonia is not consumed, and the ammonia and nitrIte levels spike. It's pretty dangerous, A pretty bad mistake.

Hope I helped!

Thanks Mumma and phoenix......That was easy to understand. I have checked the water this morning and all seems ok. Mumma the tank just went fish less yesterday. I added three mystery snails last night. I am not sure they are enough to keep the tank cycled or not? Phoenix......Luckily I didn't mess with the substrate as far as over cleaning it. I did add more to it but didn't take any away. I kept the same filter cartridge just used a bottle cleaner to remove the sludge from the intake arm. Thank for your input and knowledge I appreciate it. Will keep a close eye on the tank for the next few weeks.

Three mystery snails isn't enough. They have a considerable bioload for a snail but in 29g of water they won't make much of a dint. If you had Goldies in there the tank would be a massive bacteria colony so if your going to stock it now it the time.

Thanks Mumma, I was thinking the snails wouldn't cut it either. Although I LOVE AND ADORE MY GOLDFISH BABIES, for a variety of reasons I may branch out a bit with this tank. I added a moss ball today and a Rubber Lip Pleco. A fish I have always wanted but couldn't have with goldfish as you know. As for now I am at a loss as where to go next with stocking. All I have had are goldfish for the past three years so I am doing a lot of window shopping at my LFS. This was going to be a QT tank at first but another 20 gallon is on the way soon for that LONG STORY....Thanks as always Joe.

Back
Top Bottom