mayan cichlid info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pookie71384

Aquarium Advice Activist
two days ago I bought what was told to me to be a red terror but with doing a little info and from the help from a user on here I know now it is not a red terror but a mayan cichlid...can anyone give me advise on this fish...there's little on the internet...anyone that has kept them please respond...thank you in advance

They are aggressive and need a larger tank from what I know. Reaching over 16" in some cases.

thanks...when the time comes that I need a bigger tank I deff will...right now the mayan is in a twenty nine gallon with a convict...its real shy...whenever I get close to the tank it hides in its cave...it like watches me...as soon as it sees me get up from the couch it hides lol...its about three and half inches right now...they both get along great...I've never seen two cichlids that don't bother each other at all...and I mean at all lol

I'm fairly new to cichlids too and my supposedly nasty fish, doesn't bother anything. Attacks my hand and vacuum, but doesn't chase/nip the others when it's apparently supposed to be ruthless. It's still young though, only about 1/3 grown, as is your situation. They tell me, just wait.. lol

I read somewhere, that if a fish watches you more than the others, it's usually the more dominant in the tank. Either because it feels a little more secure focusing it's attention outside the tank, while the others are always on guard, or it's because it wants to be the first fed. Don't know how credited the author of that was, was interesting though because in a way, I've thought that too

Back
Top Bottom